function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Alan BirchenoughAlan Birchenough 

Agile Accelerator: Assignment Rules don't appear to do anything

We religously set up the "Assignee" and "Product Owner" fields on our assignment rules on every product tag, in the expectation that, when work items are created, these fields will be automatically filled in.  To be specific, we have set up assignment rules for record types "User Story" and "Bug".

What we see:
  1. We set up assignment rules for a product tag, with Assignee and Product Owner filled in, for the "Bug" and "User Story" record type.
  2. We use "New Work" (either from sprint wall or from Work tab) to create a new work item with the same product tag as in step 1.
  3. The Assignee and Product Owner fields are null.
What we expected to see:
  1. We set up assignment rules for a product tag, with Assignee and Product Owner filled in, for the "Bug" and "User Story" record type.
  2. We use "New Work" (either from sprint wall or from Work tab) to create a new work item with the same product tag as in step 1.
  3. The Assignee and Product Owner fields have been filled in with the respective fields from the applicable assignment rule.
Is anyone out there seeing these work as designed, or does anyone have any suggestions about how to enable this supposedly out-of-the-box behavior?

Yang Tang 12Yang Tang 12
I'm seeing the same issue except the assignment rules worked before and it stopped working. Here are my observations: 

Objects: 
Work
Product Tag
Assignment Rules
Tag Assignment (junction)

Flow:
create a work record -> pick a Product Tag -> using the Product Tag ID and record type name (user story/bug) to query the Tag Assignment table, which will then return the appropirate ID for Assignment Rule (which contains user IDs for assignee, QA engieer, so forth). 

This is not happen, not sure where  the issue is and I can't debug it since it's managed....

Can someone please comment on this? 
Michael Baumgarten 12Michael Baumgarten 12
Facing same issue and still do not see any answers on the web. If assignment rules don't work a decent amount of extra work.
Alan BirchenoughAlan Birchenough
I did get an answer to this on the Agile Accelerator group.  Apparently, in order for auto-assignment to work, every user has to have the managed "Agile Accerator User" permission set.  An unmanaged clone of that set does not work.  Once we assigned that permission set to each user, auto-assignments started working at advertised.  I was advised that the AA Getting Started Guide is pretty clear on these requirements.  I must admit, we missed it, so maybe you did too.
Michael Baumgarten 12Michael Baumgarten 12
Thanks Alan, your timely response just saved me a lot of time as I reviewed the AA guide a few times and when I saw that section it wasn't connecting the dots.