function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Kevin Francisco MulliganKevin Francisco Mulligan 

Visualforce Page with Data Category filters - not able to select dropdown choice

We have a VF page on Knowledge that filters articles based on 4 data categories. The filters were side by side.  I added a right hand sidebar to the page and now the 4 filters are stacked 2X2. However when I click the top category filter and try to select by mousing down, the filter below it opens and the top one closes. I cannot select anything.  

Can this be fixed? Possibly force the top filter to stay open? Or can I reduce the width of the filters so all 4 are in one row?
Thanks! KevinUser-added image
Best Answer chosen by Kevin Francisco Mulligan
Thanks RZ. Before I tried your suggestion I got some help elsewhere. I used z-index to bring the dropdowns to the front, now I can select from the options, works perfectly. 

All Answers

R Z KhanR Z Khan
I had similar issue. I ran event.preventDefault() in the onclick method. Onclik should be called when you click on your selection so it doesnt click on the dropdown under yours
Thanks for reply. Now if I hover over any filter (like State or Topic) the dropdown opens automatically. I need to make it so that the filters have to be clicked to open. Is that what event.preventDefault() does? 

My VF page has 3 places with onClick. Here is one, where do I edit it? 

<apex:variable var="hasResults" value="true"/> <div class="article-container"> <div onclick="parent.document.location.href='https://mycompany.force.com/students/s/Article?num={!article.ArticleNumber}';" class="article">
R Z KhanR Z Khan
event.preventDefault stops the default behaviour of your element My code would act ina funny way when i used it though iPad. but I have a feeling you might have a similar issue. . Try the fllowing and let me know if it works
<apex:variable var="hasResults" value="true"/> <div class="article-container"> <div onclick="event.preventDefault();parent.document.location.href='https://mycompany.force.com/students/s/Article?num={!article.ArticleNumber}'; " class="article">

Thanks RZ. Before I tried your suggestion I got some help elsewhere. I used z-index to bring the dropdowns to the front, now I can select from the options, works perfectly. 
This was selected as the best answer
R Z KhanR Z Khan
Glad you figured it out!