function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rahul ShRahul Sh 

Attachments against each record

Hi,
I have a new requirement to store attachments against each record in a Custom Object. This CO is having around 70K-80K records as of now and we see around 10K-15K new records per month in this CO. 
Each attachment size can be between 500K to 5MB and each record can have 1 to 5 attachments. 
Keeping all this in mind I am sure we are going to have space issue and going to cross 1TB very soon. 

What alternative I can use to store all these attachments. 

Thanks 
Rahul 

Best Answer chosen by Rahul Sh
Martijn SchwarzerMartijn Schwarzer
Hi Rahul,

Of course you can use your own file server. There's just one small tiny thing: Salesforce does not support FTP/SFTP, so you will have to either:
  • Create webservices to pull files from the server and save files to the server. Or;
  • Use a middleware solution like Mulesoft, Jitterbit, Informatica, etc. They (probably) support FTP/SFTP. I would not recommend buying one of those systems just for this purpose, but that decision depends also on technical requirements. (If it MUST be FTP/SFTP for example).
Good luck!

Best regards,
Martijn Schwärzer

All Answers

Hi Rahul,

My first thought is to check the appexchange. There are apps for DropBox, Box, and related services.

This way you would store your attachments elsewhere in the cloud, but still be able to access them from Salesforce.

Personally I have no experience with those apps, but I think it's an interesting topic, so if you need further help just let me know.

Happy coding!

Best regards,
Martijn Schwärzer
Rahul ShRahul Sh
Thanks Martijn Schwärzer, I will look into those options. Can we have a fileserver at our premises and upload file there via some FTP/SFTP or something, that way we can add as much storage we want ?

Thanks 
Rahul

Hi Rahul,

Of course you can use your own file server. There's just one small tiny thing: Salesforce does not support FTP/SFTP, so you will have to either:
  • Create webservices to pull files from the server and save files to the server. Or;
  • Use a middleware solution like Mulesoft, Jitterbit, Informatica, etc. They (probably) support FTP/SFTP. I would not recommend buying one of those systems just for this purpose, but that decision depends also on technical requirements. (If it MUST be FTP/SFTP for example).
Good luck!

Best regards,
Martijn Schwärzer

This was selected as the best answer
Rahul ShRahul Sh
Thanks Martijn. I think we would go by creating a web service and pull file from server.