function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
jameskCAjameskCA 

Possible to display a custom error or message to user when flow is launched from process builder?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to be posting this question, but I've posted it in the general answers forum and haven't received much feedback.

I have a process that runs on all events that launches a flow.  The flow updates a field  on a related custom project object.  We're currently running into a validation error where the field is trying to get set, but can't without another field being set.  

My question is, how can I notify the user of this?  Currently, they just receive a generic error.  I'd like to let the user know why they can't save an event.  

If possible, I'd like to avoid running the flow altogether as I can check in the flow if the prerequisite field is set or not.  I just don't know how to notify the user at that point.  

Thanks in advance, let me know if you need more info.  
Best Answer chosen by jameskCA
Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
You said you were using a process. Can you set the action criteria to make sure that the neccessary fields are set correctly? When using an autolaunched flow, I'm not sure how to display a custom error message at save. If you can't edit your process to make sure that your flow only fires when the fields are set correctly, some more information might help. The details of the process, the way the flow works, and what objects are involved in this whole set of automation. Some of those details may help, they may not, but everyone that has an idea will know better what will and won't work, Thanks in advance.

All Answers

Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
You said you were using a process. Can you set the action criteria to make sure that the neccessary fields are set correctly? When using an autolaunched flow, I'm not sure how to display a custom error message at save. If you can't edit your process to make sure that your flow only fires when the fields are set correctly, some more information might help. The details of the process, the way the flow works, and what objects are involved in this whole set of automation. Some of those details may help, they may not, but everyone that has an idea will know better what will and won't work, Thanks in advance.
This was selected as the best answer
jameskCAjameskCA
Parker,
That's what I ended up doing.  From everything I've gathered, the only thing you can do for an autolaunched flow is to send an email with any errors.