function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Justin CampbellJustin Campbell 

Contact 'Record Create' Flow

We have the current structure in our non-profit:
Camper (Contact) - Formatted as "First Name Last Name,"   i.e. Joe Smith
Volunteer Family (Organization) - Formatted as "(Contact Last Name) Household,"   i.e. Smith Household
Participant Group (Organization) - Formatted as "Organization Name,"  i.e. Test College, Richmond, VA

I'm developing a workflow (my second stab at workflows) that will be a quicker way for my staff to be able to input new Campers (contacts). This will save them time and me headaches from the all too frequent duplicate Volunteer Family (Organization) from appearing.  It seeks to enter a camper first and last name, look them up to see if they already exist.  If not, it looks up to see if their Volunteer Family is already created, creates the Family Organization as needed, then does the same for their Participant Group.  After all this, the flow finally creates the Contact.

What I've got thus far is:

1. A SCREEN that a First Name (InputFirstName) and Last Name (InputLastName) of the Camper (Contact) are input on.
2. A RECORD LOOKUP that looks for a contact record that LastName equals InputLastName, FirstName contains InputFirstName, and verifies proper record type.
3. A DECISION element that goes 2 ways:
                a. TRUE: The contact already exists, and a final screen is displayed stating this.
                b. NO CONTACT:  Nothing pinged on the record lookup.
4. If NO CONTACT is found, another RECORD LOOKUP occurs looking for a Volunteer Family with the same last name.  (Joe Smith may already be a volunteer, but then his wife Jane Smith volunteers.  I'm able to link Jane Smith's Contact with the Smith Household that Joe is already associated with.)  This is all functioning as written.

The problem I'm having is that if Joe Smith is already a volunteer under the Smith Household, and unrelated Greg Smith volunteers, the way that the flow is currently structured, Joe Smith's "Smith Household" will return as a selectable object from a Dynamic Record Choice.  But this isn't the "Smith Household" Greg needs to be associated with.  I need a way to allow the user to portray that none of the options from the Dynamic Record Choice is the sought after outcome.  Is it as simple as restructuring or adding a new Decision Element or is there another way?

I know this is a cumbersome question, but I'd appreciate any insight. Please let me know if you have any clarifying questions.

Best Answer chosen by Justin Campbell
Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
Perhaps you can add a checkbox with a label of "None of the Above" leave the picklist blank if the box is checked, throw in a decision element, and go from there.

All Answers

Perhaps you can add a checkbox with a label of "None of the Above" leave the picklist blank if the box is checked, throw in a decision element, and go from there.
This was selected as the best answer
I did the exact thing this morning when I looked at it again.  I knew it would be something simple like that. Thanks for the recommendation.
You're welcome! Just glad I can help.
krishna sawkrishna saw
Hi Justin/Parker -

I am trying a similar requirement. I need to create account record from a custom object. I am doing the following :-
1. Created a button in the custom object.
2. Passing the input from custom object record to the flow invoked through button.
3. The flow saves these values in the variables.
4, Created a lookup step :- this look up the account object with the condition as "Name" equals to "Company Name".
5. Now I am trying to create a decison step for both TRUE and FALSE but I am not able to succeed in it.

Please help me on it so that i could then link the false step to new record creation in the Account object.

This is really urgent, your early response will greatly help. Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Krishna

krishna sawkrishna saw
Hi Justin/Parker -

I am able to create the flow but I am facing another problem while passing values. When I am trying to pass the "Number" data type value to the flow. It is failing stating data type mismatch. 
Please let me know if I need to consider anything while passing data Type other than test like Number and Currency.
It has failed for both and I need to take them out before it got executed successfully.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna
Krishna,

Just starting at a bottom here, but is your field on the initial custom object a number field?  And the same for the flow; is it a number field as well?  I know sometimes a text field is used when a number field should be used.

What is the error message saying exactly?

Justin
Krishna,
In your first post, you mentioned a lookup element. Based on this, I assume that if the element finds an account, your decision takes it to a path that ends the flow or whatever, if not it creates an account and possibly some other things. If my assumption is right, then assign the account Id to a variable in the lookup element and as part of your decision, decide if the variable is blank or not. For your second post, please make sure the variable type matches the field type like Justin asked. If that doesn't work, please provide some more details.

Thanks,
Parker
krishna sawkrishna saw
Hi Parker/Justin,

Yes, your assumption is correct. This is the error I am getting :-

"Unable to set value for variable 'NoofEmployees'.
Unable to set value for variable 'NoofEmployees'. Flow encountered an error when processing and converting between data types. Please check the flow and ensure all data types are matched correctly."

In the source object :- it is as No. of EmployeesNo_of_Employees__cNumber(8, 0)
In the flow, the var -   it is NoofEmployees , Type as Number.

In the Account standard object as well it is "Number Of Employees" as Number field.

If I change the variable data type to Text, it is not available for value assignment when I create new account.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna

krishna sawkrishna saw
Hi Parker/Justin,

I have found the issue. This is due to the way values are passed to the parameter and in case of currency and numbers, it fails due to $ , . symbols in it.

Please read the link https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=vpm_considerations_runtime.htm&language=en_US

We need to get these values from the id to the variables rather.

Thanks and Regards,
Krishna
Okay, simply use a lookup element to find the record with the proper Id and assign the necessary fields to variables at the start of the flow.