function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Rebecca RallsRebecca Ralls 

Process Builder and Flow debug logs obscured by managed package code

Hi there,

I am working on a number of process builder and flow related processes that fire on objects that belong to a managed package.  When I fire the flow from the flow builder I get a nice verbose debug log that tells me exactly what's going on in every step of the fairly complicated flow.

When I fire the flow from an object involved in the managed package using a Process Builder trigger, all I get is about three lines in the debug log that says "Entering managed Package".  I don't get any information from workflow rules or process builder or visual workflow.

I talked to the vendor of the managed package, and they said that "the obfuscation of log output when entering our managed package code base i.e. an Apex Trigger which is a part of our managed package is an expected behaviour. Apex code external to our managed package does log output even if the trigger is defined on one of our packaged custom objects."  But it looks like maybe flow and WFR don't fall into the realm of "external Apex code.  ...

So I have 2 questions.  One - is this the expected behavior? And if not, is there any way to surface the debug logs for my processes? 

Thanks!!
James LoghryJames Loghry
He's right in that managed package Apex logging is not visible to a subscriber org.  That being said, if you created a Process or a Flow on the subscriber org, it should output regularly, even if it's using a managed custom object. If I create an Apex class in a subscriber org, but modify managed objects, I am able to view System.debug messages, for example.

One thing you could try is to create a simple method in Apex (using the InvocableMethod annotation) that logs the message for you, and see if that's any better?  I posted an example of this here, if you're interested: http://demandchainsystems.com/advanced-flow-tips-and-tricks/
Thanks, James, I'll give it a shot.  It probably won't help with getting logs for the Process Builder Criteria, but it might help with the flow.
Is there any way to escalate this to Salesforce support?  They say that unless you're a premier member, development support is handled by the community. But it is seriously problematic that I can't see how/whether my process builder criteria are firing.
Is it possible I just have my filters set wrong, or something? I tried eliminating apex, but then I just don't get a log.