function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Steve CairneySteve Cairney 

Custom fields in Package already exist in Production... change set best?

Hi all, I've have created a complex 'app' in my Sandbox and I want to use a Package to deploy to Production. However, the Package makes use of a few custom fields that already exist in my production org. I don't want to rename these on install as it will effect current workings.

It looks like I can't remove these few custom feilds from the package so am I reduced to using a change set?

In your experiences, what do you suggest?
Best Answer chosen by Steve Cairney
Pankaj_GanwaniPankaj_Ganwani
Hi Steve,

Ideally, you should go for change set instead of using Package for deployment to Production if you only have to deploy the components to Production org. Packages are meant for reusablility and are used when we have to incoporate the same functionality in multiple orgs which are not connected with each other.
Thanks,
Pankaj

All Answers

Nagendra ChinchinadaNagendra Chinchinada
Change set is always better to deploy from sandbox to production, and easy too .
Pankaj_GanwaniPankaj_Ganwani
Hi Steve,

Ideally, you should go for change set instead of using Package for deployment to Production if you only have to deploy the components to Production org. Packages are meant for reusablility and are used when we have to incoporate the same functionality in multiple orgs which are not connected with each other.
Thanks,
Pankaj
This was selected as the best answer
Steve CairneySteve Cairney
Thanks guys, change set it is! The reason I wanted to try a package is becuse I've never tried it before.