function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Ben SilvermanBen Silverman 

Custom Contact Clone Button

Hello! I have built a custom clone button on contacts to only clone certain fields and not others. One of the fields I would like to carry over to the new contact is Account Name. My issue is that when the Account Name is carried to the new contact, it overrides the contact's mailing address fields to reflect the address of the Account. This is not always the case, as not all contacts work at the main account headquarters. I would like the mailing address fields of the existing contact to transfer to the mailing address fields of the new contact, without being overridden when different from the account address. Here is what I have currently:

https://na8.salesforce.com/003/e?
&con4={!Account.Name}
&con19street={!Contact.MailingStreet}
&con19city={!Contact.MailingCity}
&con19state={!Contact.MailingState}
&con19zip={!Contact.MailingPostalCode}
&con19country={!Contact.MailingCountry}
&00NC0000004j5vK={!Contact.Status__c}
&00NC0000004jI0b={!Contact.Prospect_or_Client__c}
&con6={!Contact.Department}
&CF00NC0000005LWEw={!Contact.Advisor_Consultant_Group_Name__c}
&00NC0000004jI0C={!Contact.Functional_Role__c}
&00NC0000005PrMV={!Contact.Advisor_AUM__c}
&00NC0000004jF12={!Contact.Office_Main_Phone__c}
&con11={!Contact.Fax}
&00NC0000004j5Wt={!Contact.Website__c}
&00NC0000005L4Zg={!Contact.Sales_Territory__c}
&00NC0000005LJHn={!Contact.Trip_Planning_Codes__c}
&00NC0000004jF4V={!Contact.Pre_Merger_Firm__c}
&00NC0000004j5m3={!Contact.Branch_Id_Number__c}
&00NC0000004j5m8={!Contact.Broker_Number__c}
&RecordType={!Contact.RecordTypeId}

Any guidance would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
James LoghryJames Loghry
You could create a new lookup for the account that you only use for the cloning purposes (then have a process that updates the standard account field). 

If you dont want to go with this work around, then you're looking at custom code / visualforce or a publisher action to implement your clone functionality.
Robin Lindemann 14Robin Lindemann 14
Hi James,
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I have a custom lookup field on Contact for the account.  Even when it's populated, which is doesn't appear to be, in general, it just pulls in the same account information and overrides the address with the main address, instead of the address of the contact record.  What do you mean by have a process that updates the standard account field?
I tried doing a publisher action as well, but ended up with the same issue.  What am I missing?