function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ZAPEXZAPEX 

Email forward to email-to-case

Hello all , I have a situation in which an agent is getting work emails to his private inbox and he would like to forward them on behalf of the customer to salesforce and to create new case. The problem is that if the customer forwarding the case to the support inbox which has a redirect rule that redirect emails to salesforce email2case address the new created case web address is the agent and not the original mail sender (the customer). This causing afterward an issue to set the contact on the case.
Any idea how we can get the original sender to show on the case and not the agent who did the forwrading on his behalf?
Same situation works perfect on desk.com. 
Leigh Anna GeraghtyLeigh Anna Geraghty
Hi... did you find a solution for this issue? We are in the same predicament - and trying to find the best process for creating a case from the customer and not the agent when forwarding from a private inbox.  Thanks!
ZAPEXZAPEX
The way it was solved was by parsing the email body and extracting the original email sender (the customer email). The code for parsing email body and then handle the case is invoked by trigger on the emailmessage object.
Leigh Anna GeraghtyLeigh Anna Geraghty
Great... thank you so much for your response.
Robbert Dekker 3Robbert Dekker 3
I think your issue might be with how you're handling the inbound email from Outlook/Exchange.  If you're "Forwarding" the email to the unique SFDC email address, then it is, in fact, coming from your support email address.  Try "Redirecting" the email instead.  This should preserve the users From address. Credit to John Bivona (https://success.salesforce.com/profile?u=00530000001sls5
ZAPEXZAPEX
Thanks for the answer. I checked the web and it looks like it is possible to configure Gmail to redirect email instead of forward them see step 8 in the link below. Please note that I never tested it. https://support.google.com/a/answer/175745?hl=en&ref_topic=2784760&vid=0-249444396077-1523266615367 thanks