function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Dilyan DimitrovDilyan Dimitrov 

Data migration of custom objects

Could you please explain and advise which are the best ways to do Data Migration in Production Envrionment. Before I start the data migration do I need an additional environment for backup? I am trying to redesign my Salseforce Production Envrionment and what I would like to achieve is to move data from custom objects to standard objects. For instance I have a custom objects like ISO, Competitors, APM Vendors which are of type custom objects. I would like to register and move them into standard Account object. Thus, fields and related lists will vary according to the type of the Account. Could you please advise and explain what is the best possible way in terms of tools, practices which can help me import and export data in Salesforce?
Regards,
Dilyan
Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
Hi Dilyan,

Before starting the data migration, consider below points :
1) Take backup of the entire data present in your org. You can use Export Service option present in Salesforce. Go to Setup, type Data Export. Click on Export now and export eveything from there (Include all data checkbox)
2) Create a mapping document for the objects from which you need to migrate the data. Fro example, mapping of ISO to Account. The mapping will be a field to field mapping. Consider the migration of picklist data carefully if the source and destination picklist field contains different values. You may need to create transformation rules before you migrate picklist. For example Type picklist on ISO object has values A,B,C and on Account object, it may have values D, E, F. While migrating, value A may map to value D. So apply such transformation in csv file before uploading it.
3) You can use dataloader to migrate your data. Raise a case with salesforce if you want to preserve data in your audit fields. You cannot insert data in audit fields such as created date, last modified date. If you want to insert data in these fields, raise a case with Salesforce to open audit fields in your org.
4) Do a mock run in a sandbox before you upload data in production. This will help you to catch any errors which may occur during data migration.
5) If you need to populate lookups in your data, then prepare some logic to resolve the id of lookup records in you csv file. You can use the VLOOKUP function present in excel to get the record ids. If the lookup relationships are more in number and complex in nature, then go for ETL tools such as Talend to prepare your data files.