function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SakthidasanSakthidasan 

would like to know that where's this Owner coming from?

would like to know that where's this Owner coming from? I don't see there's a Owner object and I believe that Owner.Name was getting from User object.when should we use owner field ?
Shaijan ThomasShaijan Thomas
Every parent record will have owner (basically user). when a record is assigned to a user, we call the user as a owner of the record. Owner will have som specific privilage on the record.
Thanks
Yury BondarauYury Bondarau

Hi Sakthidasan,

Owner is a Lookup (external key) to User. It has a number of meanings:

Answering your questions:

>>would like to know that where's this Owner coming from?
As a rule user who create a record sets as record owner. But owner can be changed.

>>I don't see there's a Owner object and I believe that Owner.Name was getting from User object.
There is no object 'Owner'. Owner is just a name of look-up field where relation to user is stored

>>when should we use owner field ?
Owner is the base field in salesforce sharing functionality. In some objects it means assignment - owner is an person in charge of record.
Amit Chaudhary 8Amit Chaudhary 8
Objects have an ownerId field that is an reference to the user who owns that object. Ownership is an important concept that affects the security model and has other implications throughout the system. Any user can query the owner field for any record they can access. However, setting the ownerId field has the following limitations:

1) For most users and most objects, this field can’t be set directly upon insert. It is implicitly set to the current user when inserting an object.
2) When creating or updating a Case or Lead, a client application (that is logged in with sufficient permissions to transfer a record) can set this field to any valid User in the organization or to any valid queue of the appropriate type in the organization.
3) Updating this field via the API changes only the owner of that record. The change of ownership does not cascade to associated records as it does when you transfer record ownership in the Salesforce user interface.
4) Updating this field on an account deletes the existing sharing information and reapplies the organization-wide sharing defaults and sharing rules
5) To update the ownerId field, the user must have the "Transfer Record" permission and Read access to the new owner

NOTE:- In only one scenario your custom objects will not contain owner field, and that it is in master-detail relationship with another object. As ownership is governed by master object, child object does not need any owner field. Please check if this is your case. 

Let us know if this will help you.

SakthidasanSakthidasan
As I understand each record have some owner.it shoud be map with ownerId.master-detail relationship master is the  owner of the child object.my question is it same for custom object?where do  the owner lookup field resides? 
Amit Chaudhary 8Amit Chaudhary 8
Owner , Created Date and Last modify are System field. When ever you will create any object automaticly all those field will create.
Owner field resides on every object in Standard fields.

User-added image

NOTE:- In only one scenario your custom objects will not contain owner field, and that it is in master-detail relationship with another object. As ownership is governed by master object, child object does not need any owner field. Please check if this is your case. 

Let us know if this will help you.