function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jeffrey PurpleJeffrey Purple 

Custom Tab not showing up in Lightning???

I have a custom tab for a custom object that is used regularly in our org. We are making the switch to Lightning, but I cannot get this one tab to show up in Lightning. It is available in classic and I can access it from the waffle icon in Lightning. Below are some screen caps of me adding it to our Lightning navigation menu. I've set everything else up the same way and it is working fine. Any thoughts on what I could be missing?

Editing Lightning navigation menu
Best Answer chosen by Jeffrey Purple
So I'm that person that answers their own question, finally figured it out. If the tab is set to Tab Off on any of the profiles that use the navigation menu, then the tab will not show up for any of them. It doesn't make logical sense, but I've tested it and sure enough. After changing each of the profiles included in the navigation menu to have the Tab On permission for the tab that wasn't showing up, the tab now appears. Wish this quirk would have been spelled out in the release notes. 

All Answers

So I'm that person that answers their own question, finally figured it out. If the tab is set to Tab Off on any of the profiles that use the navigation menu, then the tab will not show up for any of them. It doesn't make logical sense, but I've tested it and sure enough. After changing each of the profiles included in the navigation menu to have the Tab On permission for the tab that wasn't showing up, the tab now appears. Wish this quirk would have been spelled out in the release notes. 
This was selected as the best answer
RyanBakerRyanBaker
Jeff,
Congrats on figuring out your own question! I was running into the same issue today and headed down your route for a fix. Your solution didn't work for me though ... perhaps it was a bug fixed in the Summer '16 release?? The profiles assigned to my Lightning navigation menu have the tab Hidden (I'm using permission sets to grant access instead), but I toggled the profile tab access on/off to just to see. So wanted you to know that you may not need that profile tab settings anymore.

My problem ... I still had the object's Deplyment Status set to "In Deployment" from the changeset in was brought over in. Glad to know I can still make newbie mistakes.
Joseph Ucuzoglu 14Joseph Ucuzoglu 14
I happened on the same problem. Tabs were set to show on the profile and the app had the tab in the navigation but sure enough they were not showing up.

When I saw this I noted that I had blanket enabled the App for every profile so I restricted it to just the System Administrator profile and everything worked as expected. So this may be something to try when things don't look quite right start by eliminating all the other profiles other than the one you are testing with.
David White 44David White 44
In my Profiles my 'Lead' tab does not show up when I switch to Lightining. EVERY profile had "Default ON" set. (I don't have Tab On/Tab Off, maybe an update, idk, anyway...), my problem is I renamed my 'Leads' tab to 'Client Leads' and that is what keeps my tab from showing up in Lightining. When I reset the tab back to it's default 'Leads' name , it now show up in Lightining.

So, How do I get a renamed tab to show up in Lightining or am I going about it the wrong way?
Dylan McSparrenDylan McSparren
@JeffreyPurple just wanted to thank you for doubling back to answer this question
Scott Perley 7Scott Perley 7
Thank you!  This was exactly what I was missing!
Santiago BunceSantiago Bunce
I've spent two days trying to find this answer - thank you! (Didn't know Default On had to be enabled for all profiles!)