function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
SFDC developer999SFDC developer999 

delete custom fields in Production

I have to delete many custom fields in Production, Please advice me a safe way to follow before deleting the fields.
I think I have to manually delete them from Procduction, I cannot use change set, Am I correct?
I plan to create a backup file in Force IDE and data export before deleting the fields in Production. is there anything else to do?
Thanks for your help.

Best Answer chosen by SFDC developer999
Ravi Dutt SharmaRavi Dutt Sharma
Hey Tina,

Please mark the question as "Solved" if you are happy with the solution. Thanks.

All Answers

Vivek DVivek D
You can manually delete them, if they are not reference in any code or processes.
But if they are part of any code then it will be a lot for work for you. You have to update that class form sandox push it to prod without those fields then you can delete them
Yes, it is not possible to delete components using change set. You can create a destructive package.xml and deploy it through ant. 
Before deleting, check whether the field is reference anywhere in code. You can do this by running a global search in Eclipse.
Thanks so much Vivek and Ravi. Your help is very much appreciated
Hey Tina,

Please mark the question as "Solved" if you are happy with the solution. Thanks.
This was selected as the best answer
I am sorry, I am new to this community, I dont know how to mark solved
Mohit Bansal 13Mohit Bansal 13
To fulfill Mass field deletion requirements, there is a Salesforce AppExchange App,

Salesforce BULK Object Field Creator - A Time Saver App....!!!

User-added image

Helps Admins & Developers to create multiple fields, Delete Multiple Fields & Assign FLS for multiple profiles for multiple fields in single click
Drag Drop a csv or xls files which contains list of new fields to be created
App will restrict user to create fields which already exists in system.

Benefits:
 1. Bulk(multiple) Field Creation
 2. Bulk(multiple) Field Deletion
 3. Export Object, Fields, Profiles Details

AppExchange Link:
https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000000qDqqEAE