function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jonathan BloemkerJonathan Bloemker 

How do I add new values to an existing picklist?

How do I add new values to an existing picklist?
Shazib MahmoodShazib Mahmood
Go to Setup > object > fields, click on field and then in bottom you will see the button to add in new pick list values.
M SM S
Go to Setup > object > fields, click on field and Click on New to add the new picklist values. For reference 

User-added image

Thanks
MS

JyothsnaJyothsna (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jonathan,

Go to Setup -> Customize --> [Object on which the picklist you wish to edit exists] --> Fields
Click on the Field Label Name of the field you wish to edit In the Pick List  Values section, click the "New" button Add the value(s) as desired.

Please check the below link for screenshots.

https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000gscSAAQ

Hope this helps you!
Best Regards,
Jyothsna

Jonathan BloemkerJonathan Bloemker
Thanks. I did figure this out. I was originally clicking on Edit rather than on the field name. This confused me because I could change picklist values and delete them under Edit, but I could not add new ones. Jonathan
SfdcTechieSfdcTechie
Thanks Jyothsna! Excellent answer!!
Stephen StouteStephen Stoute
Hi All, I have done all of the above and created an additional picklist value for a custom field in lighting on the contact object, ensured it's available on all layouts, but the new picklist value does not populate when I try to select it on a contact record!  Does anyone know why this is?!
Nuevo9763Nuevo9763
Hi Stephen I am facing exacty the same issue. I added a new value to an existing custom field which is of type picklist on contact object. Now if I create a new contact I can see the new value I just entered in picklist. But if I want to edit an existing contact record and assign the value I just added to picklist, I do not see the value. I am trying to understand why? I checked for any workflow rules and apex code is not controlling the values that appear in picklist. Does anyone know why?
Nuevo9763Nuevo9763
Update on the above question posted by me. The issue was caused by record types. One particular record type did not have this entry available.
Penny WangPenny Wang
Hi Stephen and MK7, I encountered the same issue and figured it out. Just go to Record Types and then edit the picklist field for each record type.
User-added image
Metin DoğanMetin Doğan
@Penny Wang
Thanks for your answer. It has woked for me, bye bye.
Aakash Gupta 26Aakash Gupta 26
Thank you