function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
anto nirmalanto nirmal 

Can we use a designation object to related Account & Contact

Hi Experts,

I'm on a project that needs to maintain the account and contact information in such a way that, the contacts are assigned to designation in Account.
Additionally it is also required to maintain infomration on the designations.
For example, If an account's sales manager is being replaced by another contact, they still want to maintain the information stored on the Designation.

Initially I thought of creating a custom object. But I just want to check if there is any standard funcationity/object available.
If not what are the considerations/steps needs to be taken care on a custom object?

Regards,
Anto Nirmal
Best Answer chosen by anto nirmal
joey_hoey19joey_hoey19
Hi Anto, 

unfortunately if you want to place a note, than you will need to create a after update trigger to be able add a note to the related notes an attachment an record this information that you need. This can not be done alone. 

Other than that I don't think there is any standard custom objects designated for that information.

Thanks.
Regards,
Joey.

All Answers

joey_hoey19joey_hoey19
Hi Anto, 

This is quite interesting scenario. 

So the simiplest out of the box without too many configuration changes is to uses Accounts History Tracking related list which track a custom lookup field to the designated contact who is the current sales manager. Every time this field is changed, i.e. from a different contact to another than this will be recorded in the Account History. This is very basic information that is kept of course.

For a more advance way to track records, I would imagine you will need to use a custom object that sits between Accounts and Contacts and acts as a junction box between tracking the past historical contacts that were the main sales manager of each account. This method you would need to explore a trigger or a process builder/flow that will create this record on the junction box everytime the lookup field 'designated contact' is changed.

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks.
Regards,
Joey.
anto nirmalanto nirmal
Hi Joey, 

Thanks for the response.
When I mentioned about keeping information on designation, I was talking about having notes comments and additional field specific to that.

We are currently using contact role for maintaining the designation. If it only has the ability to act as a normal object I would have been great but it is not. And as I have higlighted already creating a custom object is the last shot.
My question is if there is any standard objects available that would be suitable as a designation object.
joey_hoey19joey_hoey19
Hi Anto, 

unfortunately if you want to place a note, than you will need to create a after update trigger to be able add a note to the related notes an attachment an record this information that you need. This can not be done alone. 

Other than that I don't think there is any standard custom objects designated for that information.

Thanks.
Regards,
Joey.
This was selected as the best answer