function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Yelena Glezer 12Yelena Glezer 12 

Launch a flow when the field value changes

Is it possible to launch a flow when a certain field value is selected?
Here is my use case:
  • If Contact is seleced as "Client Reference" (Yes/No picklist), then I would like a screen (Flow) with 5 fields launches.
  • Once flow is finished the Contact Record is updated.  
The reason I need the flow to launch is because our Contact object has way too many fields and I am only allowed to the client reference section below the screen fold. Instead of making users scroll all the way down to the Client Reference section, i thought it would be nice to just launch the screen with questions and then update the record. 

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated
Best Answer chosen by Yelena Glezer 12
James LoghryJames Loghry
What you're asking for is a Visual Flow on a field update.  This isn't possible. Think about it for a minute.  How will a user be able to view the visual flow if they're updating records from data loader or another integration?  It just won't work.

Instead, why not have a publisher action or a custom button on the contact called "Select Client Reference" (as an example).  This would kick off your Visual Flow, asking the user to enter the client reference and the other 5 fields.

Otherwise, it also sounds like your page layout could use a clean up.  (Perhaps a client reference Contact is a new record type, that you can utilize a new page layout assignment for?)

Some food for thought.

All Answers

James LoghryJames Loghry
What you're asking for is a Visual Flow on a field update.  This isn't possible. Think about it for a minute.  How will a user be able to view the visual flow if they're updating records from data loader or another integration?  It just won't work.

Instead, why not have a publisher action or a custom button on the contact called "Select Client Reference" (as an example).  This would kick off your Visual Flow, asking the user to enter the client reference and the other 5 fields.

Otherwise, it also sounds like your page layout could use a clean up.  (Perhaps a client reference Contact is a new record type, that you can utilize a new page layout assignment for?)

Some food for thought.

This was selected as the best answer
Yelena Glezer 12Yelena Glezer 12
Thank you James. It totally makes sense why a Visual Flow on a field update is not possible. 
Edward ZaragozaEdward Zaragoza
My reasoning for wanting a visual flow is to document time worked on a case for reps. So after a rep adds a case comment or sends and email for example, I'd like them to be prompted to enter how much time they spent on that activity. Now that we are 5 years later do you think it's possible?
Robert UzdavinesRobert Uzdavines
Check this out!

https://trailblazers.salesforce.com/_ui/core/chatter/groups/GroupProfilePage?g=0F93A000000HVgS

Not sure if this works, but I think this person came up with a workaround with "PopUps":

"Daniel Andreas (Beos AG)
Hi Alex,
I work with @Sarah Westenberger (Eigenherd) together and we developed a little workaround for that so that we can implement that behaviour already.
You have to use a Flow and a custom field (checkbox) on the user. The flow just sets the checkbox to checked and displays a screen with the notification. If you want to display the message just once you can set a component visibility filter on the Lightning Page on the Component and choose the custom field from the user. Et voilá!
Hope that helps somebody else as well!
Greetings, Daniel"