function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Luis HerreraLuis Herrera 

Need a process builder to run every day... how do I make this happen?

I would like some help with a fairly simple request: I have a process builder setup to run on opportunities. It works fine but only when the record is updated. I would like to have it run every day and execute if a field date on the record is matched to today's date. I don't want to set it to run in the future. Just an everyday event.
I tried forcing the execution with workflow rules updating a date field on the record but it doesn't work when the date is tomorrow or the following date. Nothing happens when the future date comes around.
Is there another trick I'm missing and I can't see a way to trigger this process builder?
Thanks in advance for your help!
DavidGantDavidGant
Luis,

You would need to configure the Process Builder to have the action you want to occur in the future in the Scheduled Actions instead of the Immediate Actions. The Process Builder will still run when the edit is made to set the field value, but the action will not be carried out until the desired time based on the schedule that you set. 

Hope this helps

David
Ronald OlechRonald Olech
What David said.  If you are running the process on existing records, in the Criteria, go to Advanced and check 'Do you want to execute actions...".  Otherwise only immediate actions are available. 
anto nirmalanto nirmal
Hi Luis,

The requirement you are looking for to scedule an update of the record on a regular basis.
This can be done with a Apex Scheduler.

You can read more about Apex scheduler int he following link:
https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_scheduler.htm

Let me know if this helps.

As a common practice, if your question is answered, please choose 1 best answer.
Additionally you can give every answer a like if that answer is helpful to you.

Regards,
Anto Nirmal
Luis HerreraLuis Herrera
I was able to setup a workflow rule that scheduled a field update in the future, this in turn forced the record update that fired up my process builder. I didn't want to resort to custom code suchs as Apex scheduler. DavidGant's answer was the closest I could get to get my final solution.
Thanks everyone!  
John HenleyJohn Henley
Luis, would you mind sharing the formula that you used for your workflow rule?  I also need to trigger a process to run without a user editing the object record. 

Thanks!
Jacob KozeraJacob Kozera
I now this is an old string but figured I would post anyways.  After running into a similar issue I was shown this: https://douglascayers.com/2016/04/18/salesforce-process-builder-scheduler/ 
It has been working well from me.  I use it to kick of about 5 different Processes.
Luis HerreraLuis Herrera
Interesting stuff. I will give it a try. This might work on new processes I'm working on. Thank you!!
I got around my problem by creating a process builder that created a scheduled action to fire up in the future. The Action was a flow that sent reminders and updated fields according for my next iteration. Pretty simple but effective. John H, Sorry for the delayed response, I did not get notified when you posted the question. I have a pretty straight foward "autolaunched flow" that sends emails. chat posts and updates some date fields, when the orginal scheduled job runs, it creates a new one for my followup and so on. The orginal get's created by the opportunity owner when they check off automated follow ups (I built some requirements of course) 
YangHuiranYangHuiran
can process builder run everyday without edit? I'm trying to make a processbuilder that it will add Todo at a same day everyday.
Shreyas MuraliShreyas Murali
User-added image

This will work.

Step 1: create a hidden text field on the obejct you are trying to check everyday. I named mine the daily checker
Step 2: create a process builder on the required object and condition it runs everytime its edited 
Step 3: check if the object "Ischanged" is true as first criteria. Immediate Action - Update that hidden field witht hat value.
Step 4: create a criteria with criteria as when formula equals to "True" and check the advanced drop down so that scheduled actiosn will appear
Step 5: Change the first criteria end point to "Evaluate the Next Criteria"
Step 6: Run after 24 hours of last modified - edit that hidden field "Daily Checker" with a new value .When this happens you are firing the process builder again to edit it 24 hrs after the last modified.
Arati PalliathuArati Palliathu
Hi Shreyas, 

I am trying to use your workaround but i am not sure what you mean by "check if the object ischanged is true" in step 3. Could you please shed some light on this? 

Thanks 
Ari
Sachin HoodaSachin Hooda
Since the process builder will be executed when the Object is edited, obviously, in turn, the hidden field will be edited as well. Since the schedule is running so consider setting up any to the hidden field. Every time the hidden field is updated, another schedule will be on action.
Rithin JohnRithin John
Hi,

Is there any update on this? Like I saw in this link that it would get implemented in the winter'20 release https://trailblazer.salesforce.com/ideaView?id=08730000000DjEmAAK
Wanted to know if I could schedule a process builder to execute even without a record creation or update.

Thanks and Regards,
Rithin John