function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Manager LGMWManager LGMW 

Barcode for Inventory Management

Has anyone every used Salesforce as an inventory managment system? Currently we manually count the amount of items we have in stock and starting next year, we are going to try to implement a bar code scanner system. All our products will ship with barcodes (as they previously didn't) and I was wondering what is the best way to scan the item into salesforce and make the count for that item/product go up by one for each object scanned. Currently in our salesforce account we do have an inventory count system that tell us how many of each product we have but it is manually changed when we received new products. I hope that Salesforce will automatically increase the count of the scanned object by one with a bar code system scanner. We have a barcode, but essentially no inventory control software. Should we purchase one from another third party company such as wasp, but it cannot integrate directly with salesforce (though it can produce CSV files)  or reprogram our salesforce account with code to increase the count of the object scanned directly on Salesforce. Thanks for any help!
Best Answer chosen by Manager LGMW
SKolakanSKolakan
You can have a page built in Visualforce to store scanned items in the respective object. The scanner I worked with was a plug and play USB scanner which is able to return scanned data to anywhere the cursor is with carriage return. You can take advantage of the carriage return to program visualforce to scan and store functionality with out clicking any buttons. 

Hope that helps.