function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Zoom_VZoom_V 

Auto populate Master-Detail fields when creating

I have an object (ObjectA) with two Master-Detail fields in it. I am attempting to auto-populate both of those Master-Detail fields whenever I create a new ObjectA record. I am attempting to accomplish this by using Process Builder. However, those Master-Detail fields are not available in the dropdown list of one of the fields to update when I use the Update Records action. 

Why is this ? Am I not able to update Master-Detail fields using Process Builder ? If so, is there a way around this ? 

Thank you.

Best Answer chosen by Zoom_V
Carlos Campillo GallegoCarlos Campillo Gallego
Hi again,

I have a little update on this matter. The reason of not being able to select a master-detail field in process builder is because of not having the re-parenting checkbox checked. Once you have this checked, the master detail field will appear as lookup already do.
Keep in mind that this change may affect to you data model requirements.

Regards.

All Answers

Hi Zoom_V

Just like you say, you can't update master-detail fields with Process Builder, however you can update lookup fields, I guess this is because lookups are not a tight relationship as master-detail are. I assume that using lookups instead of master-detail fields is not an option for you so I guess that you should use a trigger instead process builder.

Regards
Zoom_VZoom_V
Unfortunately, using lookup fields is not an option in this case. I need to make rollup fields in the parent. I guess I'll have to look into developing a trigger. Thank you Carlos.
Hi again,

I have a little update on this matter. The reason of not being able to select a master-detail field in process builder is because of not having the re-parenting checkbox checked. Once you have this checked, the master detail field will appear as lookup already do.
Keep in mind that this change may affect to you data model requirements.

Regards.
This was selected as the best answer
Zoom_VZoom_V

Oh thank you Carlos. And now that you say that it all makes sense. I guess I would be re-parenting the record from a blank field to a populated one. 

Thanks again !

Tshepo PelaeloTshepo Pelaelo
Thanks Carlos.This has helped me