function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Morgan MarcheseMorgan Marchese 

CommunityBuilder/Lightning: javascript in <head> cant find ElementById on lightning component

With the introduction of Spring '16 (currently in Preview), the Community Builder for Template based communities like Napili was updated to allow access to the <head> of the page similarly to how you could access scripts in Site.com Studio previously. This allows for the addition of external javascript to the page. I have been having a lot of trouble implementing Salesforce Live Agent into a lightning component so I thought this would be a huge win for me, allowing me to put the javascript in the head where it belonged the whole time, and make sure it always executes.

However, for whatever reason - it seems that the javascript loading in the <head> is unable to find the ElementById in the body? In the below code examples, you will see the head where I drop in Salesforces javascript code for Live Agent buttons, which uses getElementById to display a different element if offline/online. You'll see that I added console.logs to try to find a fault. All 3 console.logs show up in the console, so its definitely reaching them all.

Also, when I manually view the page source of the community page where the lightning component is, and manually try to do a Find for the ElementID, the only reference I find in the source code is my single reference in the <head> - the body doesn't even have any content that resembles the html markup in my lightning component.

Is this issue being caused because...:
  1. The <head>'s inability to see the elements/IDs of elements within lightning components on the page?
  2. The <head> initializes before the lightning component is rendered and so there is no Element by that ID to find at the time of execution?
  3. The ID doesn't show up in the source of the page when manually searching so the <head> probably can't see it either?
  4. Some other reason that I can't think of?
Your time and insight are appreciated!

Live Agent Deployment Javascript in <head>:
<script type='text/javascript' src='https://c.la4-c1cs-was.salesforceliveagent.com/content/g/js/36.0/deployment.js'></script>

<script type='text/javascript'>
    liveagent.init('https://d.la4-c1cs-was.salesforceliveagent.com/chat', '*****Removed*****', '*****Removed*****');
    console.log('MSIMM - Live Agent Initialized');
</script>

<script type="text/javascript">
    if (!window._laq) { 
        window._laq = []; 
        console.log('MSIMM - !window._laq');
    }
    window._laq.push(function(){
        liveagent.showWhenOnline('ABCD1234',     document.getElementById('liveagent_button_online_ABCD1234'));
	    liveagent.showWhenOffline('ABCD1234',     document.getElementById('liveagent_button_offline_ABCD1234'));
        console.log('MSIMM - window._laq.push');
    });
</script>

The ElementIDs above are found in a lightning component on our home page. It is a very simple component that is mostly HTML:

<aura:component implements="forceCommunity:availableForAllPageTypes" controller="MSI_PermissionUtil">
    <ltng:require scripts="" styles="/resource/MSIImages5/msiImages.css"/>
    <aura:handler name="init" value="{!this}" action="{!c.init}" />  

<!-- use this to make after render actions -->
    <aura:attribute name="isDoneRenderingLPB" type="Boolean" default="false"/>
    <aura:handler event="aura:doneRendering" action="{!c.onAfterRender}"/>    

<div class="container-fluid">
        <div class="row">
            <div class="col-sm-4 col-md-4 msiBoxCol">
                <a href="" id="liveagent_button_online_ABCD1234" class="thumbnail msiBox1" style=" text-align:center;padding-bottom: 2em;" onclick="{!c.startChat}">
                    <div class="msi-img1" style="padding-top:20px;"></div>
                    <h3>Live Chat Online</h3>
                </a>

<a href="" id="liveagent_button_offline_ABCD1234" class="thumbnail msiBox1" style=" text-align:center;padding-bottom: 2em;display: none;">
                    <div class="msi-img1" style="padding-top:20px;"></div>
                    <h3>Live Chat Offline</h3>
                </a>

</div>
        </div>
    </div>
</aura:component>