function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
TimSTimS 

Update of Standard Object field from related Custom Object edit

Struggling with how to make an update to a date field on the Contact object when a related child object is edited and meets specific conditions. Here are the details...
Custom object Requests has a lookup field back to Contact object. A single Contact can be related to MANY requests. When a Request record is edited to meet specific values (status=Complete, etc) have a working Process that fires and distributes an email alert whihc is a suvey Invitation. At that time, I also need to update the related Contact record field, Last Survey Invite Date, with the current date.  I assume  many- to-one relationship of Requests to Contacts is why Process builder, workflow or anything else doesn't give me access to the Contact field to update.  I suspect this will require a trigger and corresponding apex class to make happen, but that's above my skill set.  Great at declarative development, but not at coding.  Any suggestions/corrections/clarifications would be appreciated.  Thanks!     
Best Answer chosen by TimS
Adrian  GawryszewskiAdrian Gawryszewski
Hi Tim

I think Process Builder is the right tool for sure and trigger would be an overkill in that case. Please could you please tell me what do you mean by it doesn't give you access? Is it not present on the selected object?

All Answers

Adrian  GawryszewskiAdrian Gawryszewski
Hi Tim

I think Process Builder is the right tool for sure and trigger would be an overkill in that case. Please could you please tell me what do you mean by it doesn't give you access? Is it not present on the selected object?
This was selected as the best answer
TimSTimS
Thanks.  I was not making the right selection for the value in "Select a record related to the Request__c" dropdown.  A bit confusing..but found the right field finally and the update is made as needed.  Thanks for your response.