function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Wes McCarthyWes McCarthy 

How to setup validation that only allows a User to update an Opp Stage via Task Workflow

Hi there,

I have an issue that im hoping somebody can help me with re: the Sales process.  

I currently have implemented a trigger that will update the Stage field of an Opportunity, based on completing Opportunity tasks.  Once the first task is completed, the stage gets updated, and a new task in the workflow is generated....and so on.

The issue is that i cant make the Stage field read-only, as it is a standard object field.  Meaning the Sales reps can completely ignore the workflow tasks, and manually update the Stage field.  

Ideally i'd like to have some sort of validation that prevents Users from updating the stage field maually, and only allows it to happen via completion of an Opportunity task.  Unfortunately, i cant create a validation rule that allows this flexibility. 

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Srinivas SSrinivas S
You can create a validation rule by keeping condition  ISCHANGED(StageName) && other conditions.

1. Validation rule will fire if the user manually change the status.
2. Validation rule won't fire after the workflow rules so it will be updated through workflow rule.

Thanks,
Srinivas
- Please mark as solution if your problem is resolved.
Wes McCarthyWes McCarthy
Thanks... How can i set up a validation rule to only fire when a person manually changes the Stage, and to not fire when the workflow changes it?