function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Raj R.Raj R. 

What is appropriate way to deploy changes from the sandbox to the production org?

Hi,

We have recently refreshed our sandbox from the production org. As per latest requests, we have made the following changes in the sandbox and eventually we want to deploy to production.

Changes:
  • Contact Layout A
    • Added two new fields
    • Added new section
  • Lead Layout A
    • Added two new fields
    • added new section
  • Added two fields to both Contacts and Leads
    • field1
    • field2
  • Updated permissions for multiple profiles (after adding two fields)
    • profile1
    • profile2
    • profile3
Best Answer chosen by Raj R.
James LoghryJames Loghry
Hi there.

The easiest way would be to use a changeset (and include profile1,2,3 in your profile settings).  You could also push the changes with MavensMate, Eclipse, or another IDE (be sure to include the profile when you do this, as it will adjust your FLS for the new fields).

If you're looking at eventually moving to a continuous integration kind of approach, then you may eventually want to look into the ant migration tool or other methods of deployment, but change sets / IDEs are the ways to go for one time deploys.

All Answers

James LoghryJames Loghry
Hi there.

The easiest way would be to use a changeset (and include profile1,2,3 in your profile settings).  You could also push the changes with MavensMate, Eclipse, or another IDE (be sure to include the profile when you do this, as it will adjust your FLS for the new fields).

If you're looking at eventually moving to a continuous integration kind of approach, then you may eventually want to look into the ant migration tool or other methods of deployment, but change sets / IDEs are the ways to go for one time deploys.
This was selected as the best answer
Raj R.Raj R.
Hi James,

Do you know if with the changesets we can selectively pick the new additions?

For example, I added a new section on contact layout and I want to include that as part of the changeset or would the changeset include the entire contact layout and it would update the layout in production?
JeffreyStevensJeffreyStevens
You update an entire page layout at a time.

Raj R.Raj R.
Thank you Jefreey and James. It seems like changesets are the way to go. 
Raj R.Raj R.
One question that has come up is that let's say i include an apex class to the changeset. I upload the changeset to the production org. A few months later i need to update the apex class. Would i have to recreate the same changeset or would i have to create another changeset to include the latest version of the apex class? Basically, how would i update the apex class?