function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Anshuta Awasthi 7Anshuta Awasthi 7 

Code associated with a field

Hi all,
What is the best and fastest way to know all the places where a field is being used:
-Workflows
-Apex classes/Methods
-Validation Rules
SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Anshuta,

The best way is to use Eclipse. Download your entire code base and use Eclipse's search function to search all Classes, triggers, and such. Reports and analytic snapshots are accessible this way as well. If your org is small, you should be able to download everything, including objects and custom fields (as any given field can be used in another formula field). If your org is large, you may have to chunk it out into different projects.

Please refer below links for installing Eclipse.

https://developer.salesforce.com/page/Force.com_IDE_Installation_for_Eclipse_3.6

Hope this helps you!

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

UC InnovationUC Innovation
Like Sandhya mentioned, you can use the Force.com IDE to do a global search once you create a project that has everything.  Aside from that, a quick a dirty way would be to try to delete the field in the Salesforce UI.  Salesforce will then give you an error message with a list of places that references the field.