function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Praveen Yadavalli 17Praveen Yadavalli 17 

Saving a Salesforce Standard required field with formula logic using workflow rule IF field is left blank by overcoming the validation

Hi 
I have a requiremnt where there is a standard object OPPORTUNITIES we had a business scenario where opportunity name should over ride with the name which is used in field update by using work flow while creation of record. the business got back to me and changed the requiremnt like if the user does not enter any value in the required field on standard opportunity object and try to save it then it should bring the fieldupdate by using workflow or in case2 if user gives some some name it should directly take that name. 

I am good with second scenario by just going in to the work flow and make it checked "every time when record is created" use this work flow the problem comes next how to overcome to save a field (Standard Required field) without giving value in it and make it over ride by field update value, I tried with below code but its not going through. please help me out with your suggestions.

List<Opportunity> lstOpps = new List<Opportunity>();
    Set<Id> setAccountIds = new Set<Id>();
    if(Trigger.isInsert && Trigger.isBefore) {
         for(Opportunity o: Trigger.new){
             lstOpps.add(o);
             setAccountIds.add(o.AccountId);
        if(String.isBlank(o.Name) && !rtMapById.get(o.RecordTypeId).getName().containsIgnoreCase('National')){
            //lstOpps.add(o);
            //setAccountIds.add(o.AccountId);
        //o.Name = rtMapById.get(o.RecordTypeId).getName()+'-'+o.AccountId+'-'+Date.today().format(); 
    }
         }
    Map<Id, Account> mapAccounts = new Map<Id,Account>([select id,name from Account where id in : setAccountIds]);
    for(Opportunity o: Trigger.new){
     o.Name = rtMapById.get(o.RecordTypeId).getName()+'-'+mapAccounts.get(o.AccountId).Name+'-'+Date.today().format(); 
    }

Best Answer chosen by Praveen Yadavalli 17
Uday Kumar 43Uday Kumar 43
Hello Praveen,

If I understand your requirement right, You are expecting to save record with blank name for Opportunity and let Trigger/WF to update the value if name is blank. Opportunity name is standard Salesforce field and required universally. As far as I know, You can not save opportunity with blank name. Triggers/WF rules will run only after DML operation on record (Saving record). 

Thanks

All Answers

Ishwar ShindeIshwar Shinde
Hi Praveen,

As per standard Salesforce behavior, WF rules bypasses the  validation rules. Also,in sequence execution, wf executes after the before and after trigger, so it might overriding the value you have provided in trigger.

I would suggest to put this population logic in trogger only, and remove WF completely.

Please mark this as best ans if this helps!!
Uday Kumar 43Uday Kumar 43
Hello Praveen,

If I understand your requirement right, You are expecting to save record with blank name for Opportunity and let Trigger/WF to update the value if name is blank. Opportunity name is standard Salesforce field and required universally. As far as I know, You can not save opportunity with blank name. Triggers/WF rules will run only after DML operation on record (Saving record). 

Thanks

This was selected as the best answer