function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ArchestainArchestain 

On what business instances we would required to use process builder vs Workflows-Please help with an example? -Both Automation Methods looks alike :(

Best Answer chosen by Archestain
SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Archestain,

Please refer  below link to know which automation tool to use

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=process_which_tool.htm&language=en_US

In short, you can do everything you can do with workflows using process builder as well, except for sending outbound messages with point&click. With process builder, you can also update all child records starting from the parent record, which is not possible with workflows (only vice versa is possible using cross object field updates). 

However, when you compare the execution speed of workflows and process builder, you'll find that workflows are incredibly time efficient. Whenever you can use a workflow instead of process builder, you absolutely should

You can use the Process Builder to perform more actions than with workflow:
Create a record
Update any related record
Use a quick action to create a record, update a record, or log a call
Launch a flow
Send an email
Post to Chatter
Submit for approval
Call Apex methods
But the process builder doesn’t support outbound messages.
Workflow does only 4 actions
Create Task
Update Fiel
Email Alert
Outbound Message

Hope this helps you!

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

All Answers

SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Archestain,

Please refer  below link to know which automation tool to use

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=process_which_tool.htm&language=en_US

In short, you can do everything you can do with workflows using process builder as well, except for sending outbound messages with point&click. With process builder, you can also update all child records starting from the parent record, which is not possible with workflows (only vice versa is possible using cross object field updates). 

However, when you compare the execution speed of workflows and process builder, you'll find that workflows are incredibly time efficient. Whenever you can use a workflow instead of process builder, you absolutely should

You can use the Process Builder to perform more actions than with workflow:
Create a record
Update any related record
Use a quick action to create a record, update a record, or log a call
Launch a flow
Send an email
Post to Chatter
Submit for approval
Call Apex methods
But the process builder doesn’t support outbound messages.
Workflow does only 4 actions
Create Task
Update Fiel
Email Alert
Outbound Message

Hope this helps you!

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

This was selected as the best answer
ArchestainArchestain
Hi Sandya,

Well Said,
Can you Provide your view or differentiate the send an email action of process builder with the outbound message action of a workflow?

Note: i felt outbound message and send an email is same with best of my knowledge :)

Thanks
Archer
Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
Hello Archestain,

Both Process Builder and Workflows can send out an email alert using an email template that you've set up. This would be the email alert action I believe. I've never used Outbound Messages, but an Outbound Message action in Workflow will send an API message to an external system without the need to write code. I believe that you can still do this in Process Builder, but you would have to write code.

In summary, an Email Alert will send something to your inbox, but an Outbound Message will tell an external system to do something.

I hope this helps,
Parker Edelmann
ArchestainArchestain
Hi Parker

Thanks for a better clarification on this. It helps.

Thanks
Archer