function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jayanthy AmbadyJayanthy Ambady 

create new hierarchical relationship field

create new hierarchical relationship field while creating approval process
SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Jayanthy Ambady,

Please refer below link to Create an Approval Process
with hierarchical relationship field.

https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.fundamentals.meta/fundamentals/adg_workflow_approval_process_try_it_out.htm

This type of relationship is a special lookup relationship available only for the user object. It allows users to use a lookup field to associate one user with another that does not directly or indirectly refer to itself. For example, you can create a custom hierarchical relationship field to store each user's direct manager.

A lookup relationship on the user object to the user object

Go to setup--- customize--- user -- fields--- create new custom field -- there you fill find hierarchy relationship instead --Master -detail and lookup.

When you create a new user ..there will be a field which will allow selecting another user or customer portal user. Now its up to you how you want to use or what is the scenario for using it.

When developing an Approval Process, a Custom Hierarchical Relationship field on the user object enables you to specify, for a given user, who is the next person up in a custom hierarchy. This is useful if the standard Manager field (which is populated based on the applicable Role Hierarchy) is not appropriate for the given approval process that you are developing. So, for example, if there was a committee in a company that had people across various departments, and they wanted to implement an approval process for various proposals that they were considering, then the standard Role Hierarchy would not apply. Instead, you could define a custom hierarchy of approvers using a custom hierarchical relationship field and use that field to designate a specific "higher-up" for each user in the hierarchy. You could set up the approval process to use the value in that field to determine who is the next approver for a given step.
Hope this helps you!

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards 
Sandhya

Sunil Shah 8Sunil Shah 8
Thanks Jayanthy for asking the question as I wanted to know what is the meaning of custom hierarchy. Thanks Sandhya for the clarification.
jayanthy ambady 8jayanthy ambady 8
Thank You Sandhya