function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Lakshmi SLakshmi S 

differences in salesforce.com licence and force.com licence

HI All,

differences in salesforce.com licence and force.com licence?
Best Answer chosen by Lakshmi S
Amit Chaudhary 8Amit Chaudhary 8
Please check below post to understand the User Licenses
1) https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_understanding_license_types.htm&language=en

First of all, Salesforce.com is built on the Force.com platform - they are more or less interchangeable from a technical standpoint.  It's a mere matter of marketing semantics.  Force.com applies to the infrastructure and codebase that is the foundation for the entire Salesforce solution.  They are enforcing the Force.com concept more so because Salesforce can do so much more than CRM nowadays.

Secondly, regarding the functionality situation.  In this case I think you are referring to the Force.com Edition in comparison to the standard Salesforce.com Editions (Professional, Enterprise, etc.).  In this case, yes there is a difference.  The Force.com Edition (or Platform Edition, depending on the marketing materials you have in hand, what day of the week it is and whether or not your sneakers have green stripes) is a standard Enterprise Edition (if you buy in conjunction with a full Enterprise Edition) minus the CRM functionality - so no Leads, Opportunities, etc. (as far as I know).  This Platform Edition is aimed at providing customers with the "platform" on which to build custom applications - for companies that do not so much use Salesforce for the CRM.

And lastly, regarding the Developer Edition accounts you created with interests in Salesforce.com customization and Force.com platform - again, just another marketing ploy.  Salesforce uses the preferences you set to send you more targeted information via email regarding the topics of interest to you.

The essential differrence is that Salesforce.com provides various types of CRM License like  Limited Edition,Professional Edition etc where as Force.com is a platform which is used to build cloud based Application..

Moreover Salesforce.com is built using Force.com..

As far as price is concerned Force.com Licenses are cheaper than Salesforce.com License..

All Answers

SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Lakshmi Narasimha,

Salesforce.com licences are for the Sales Cloud CRM product. Force.com is the platform everything is built on, and you can buy Force.com licences to build a custom product that does not utilise the standard CRM features and objects, such as Opportunities for instance.

Please refer below post for more information

https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000gtomAAA

Please accept my solution as Best Answer if my reply was helpful. It will make it available for other as the proper solution. If you felt I went above and beyond, you can give me kudos.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya

Nitin SharmaNitin Sharma
Hello Lakshmi,
Read below link it will help you.
https://success.salesforce.com/answers?id=90630000000gtomAAA

If your doubt will clear then mark this answer as best answer.

Thanks,
Nitin Sharma
Amit Chaudhary 8Amit Chaudhary 8
Please check below post to understand the User Licenses
1) https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=users_understanding_license_types.htm&language=en

First of all, Salesforce.com is built on the Force.com platform - they are more or less interchangeable from a technical standpoint.  It's a mere matter of marketing semantics.  Force.com applies to the infrastructure and codebase that is the foundation for the entire Salesforce solution.  They are enforcing the Force.com concept more so because Salesforce can do so much more than CRM nowadays.

Secondly, regarding the functionality situation.  In this case I think you are referring to the Force.com Edition in comparison to the standard Salesforce.com Editions (Professional, Enterprise, etc.).  In this case, yes there is a difference.  The Force.com Edition (or Platform Edition, depending on the marketing materials you have in hand, what day of the week it is and whether or not your sneakers have green stripes) is a standard Enterprise Edition (if you buy in conjunction with a full Enterprise Edition) minus the CRM functionality - so no Leads, Opportunities, etc. (as far as I know).  This Platform Edition is aimed at providing customers with the "platform" on which to build custom applications - for companies that do not so much use Salesforce for the CRM.

And lastly, regarding the Developer Edition accounts you created with interests in Salesforce.com customization and Force.com platform - again, just another marketing ploy.  Salesforce uses the preferences you set to send you more targeted information via email regarding the topics of interest to you.

The essential differrence is that Salesforce.com provides various types of CRM License like  Limited Edition,Professional Edition etc where as Force.com is a platform which is used to build cloud based Application..

Moreover Salesforce.com is built using Force.com..

As far as price is concerned Force.com Licenses are cheaper than Salesforce.com License..

This was selected as the best answer
Ryan P.Ryan P.
I'm not sure these answers really cover the true question. Salesforce will actually sell you two different licenses for the same environment (so we are on an Enterprise edition, and we have some users with a "Full" license and some with a "force.com" license). My understanding is that the force.com license is a "one app" license, and our contract states that our force.com users: "must be assigned to a User profile that has access to no more than 1 custom app containing no more than 10 custom objects. Standard objects that a Force.com - One App User can view within the Service do not count toward the 10-custom-object limit." I also believe that these users cannot edit the Standard objects (so they can't add, delete, or modify Accounts, Opportunities, Contacts, etc.). I hope that helps anybody who may come across this thread.
Fergus Glynn 5Fergus Glynn 5
Ryan p... I think you are right that is more the question. Anyone preforming a search on the differences between these licenses will have read the links above just like me but as with soooo much of salesforce's jargon it all seems to stop short of the finer details! I am currently looking at developing a system for a company that uses salesforce but after my first meeting it has morphed quite far from a crm. It looks like a good part of their staff would not need the standard objects and hence simply work with custom objects, hence my interest in force.com license!

What I'm not sure of is the extent to which a force.com user is restricted from the '11th +' objects that they are not given access to. Will they have access through the api via workflow rules and apex. for example an enterprise user has access to all objects let's say 20 custom object. And for argument sake this enterprise user creates a record on say custom object 1 and a trigger is fired which sets in motion a business process that creates/ updates a record in our custom object 12 and maybe references custom object 13 &14. For this user all goes well and we are happy but what happens to my user on the force.com licence if they only have access to custom objects 1 to 10? 
Tim MinowaTim Minowa
Are the Article and Article Management tabs still available when switching over to the Force.com license? I have the tab settings turned on and assigned to the correct page layout, but can't seem to get those two tabs to appear. Are they not available with force.com licenses?