function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
PreyankaPreyanka 

It is possible for a user to own a record and not see it

Hi,
It is really helpful if someone clarifies the below scenario:
Is it possible for a user to own a record and not see it? Because it seems that a user need atleast read permission to own a record. If the user does not have that permission either through profile/permission set then he/she will not able to view the record and if we try to assign the record manually to them then we will get the error message “TRANSFER_REQUIRES_READ”.
But if the owner assignment is done through assignment rule/ workflow rule the scenario is possible and I just want to know how?

Thanks in advance

Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
It is possible to create a record through the API whose owner can't see it, I just tested that, but I'm not sure about workflow/process or other automation.
UC InnovationUC Innovation
Here's a link that may help:

https://developer.salesforce.com/docs/atlas.en-us.apexcode.meta/apexcode/apex_bulk_sharing_understanding.htm

"Each record is owned by a user or optionally a queue for custom objects, cases and leads. The record owner is automatically granted Full Access, allowing them to view, edit, transfer, share, and delete the record."

Thus, if the user owns a record, the user will see it.
Parker EdelmannParker Edelmann
No, that is incorrect. I just proved that you can own a record without having access to that object. That user cannot see it. You can create a record for a user that doesn't have read access to that object, but you can't transfer.
UC InnovationUC Innovation
Thanks Parker.  That's good to know.  I'll give it a try.
PreyankaPreyanka
Thanks for your response.
Kumar Singh 2Kumar Singh 2
Then how we can make visible to them?
Sindhu Gogulamudi 23Sindhu Gogulamudi 23
By giving them read access