function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Claire DomingoClaire Domingo 

Is there any way ( SOQL) or coding that allows existing records from a STANDARD auto-number field to be updated?

UC InnovationUC Innovation
Hi Claire,

I'm not sure if i fully understand. Do you want to update the auto number field of a particular record? 

If the answer to that question is yes then you might be able to get away temporarily changing the field from autonumber format to text format making sure to maintain the formatting and uniqueness of the numbers. Once you set the numbers as you need and switch back to autonumber set the starting number to pickup where you need it to.

If the answer to that question was no then you might have wanted to simply change the formatting of the field in which case you can reffer to the following (https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=modifying_standard_auto-number_fields.htm).

Hope this helps!

AM
Claire DomingoClaire Domingo
Hi, 

I appreciate the response. Can't change the field type as we're dealing with a standard auto-number field". Where in need of updating previous records from this standard field not formating the format of this field.  I found a workaround of changing auto-number to text, do the mass update then put back type to auto-number to get the existing records follow the new format however this only works for custom-auto number fields.

If you have another suggestion that would be fantastic.