function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
tony2009tony2009 

why the Auth. provider configuration is required for Salesforce Authentication Provider

I am reading the article https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=sso_provider_sfdc.htm&language=en_US. 

It says "connected app as an authentication provider". I am confused by seting up Auth.provider using connected app's client id and client secret (It is salesforce client Id and client secret). should it be from 3rd party?  for example: linkedin?

NagendraNagendra (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Tony,

This is pretty simple,its from the third party.

You need some information from your provider (the Client ID and Client Secret, as well as the Authorize Endpoint URL, Token Endpoint URL, and User Info Endpoint URL) to configure your application in your Salesforce organization.

You can use any third-party Web application that implements the server side of the OpenID Connect protocol, such as Amazon, Google, and PayPal, as an authentication provider.

For complete information on the same please refer to the below link
https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=sso_provider_openid_connect.htm&language=th

Please mark this as solve if it helps you.

Best Regards,
Nagendra.P
tony2009tony2009
Hi Nagendra, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I understand it is open ID connect implementation. but what I don't understand is that the client Id and client secret are from Salesforce instead of Amazon

For example.
When the connected app for Amazon is created, client id and client secret is generated by Salesforce automatically. But that article advise  that we need to copy those client id and client secret  (from connected app, generated from Salesforce) to Auth. Provider (I guest salesforce is used as an Authentication Provider instead of Amazon here).  

So where should I put the client id and client secret from Amazon?  It seems there is nothing with 3rd party authentication.

Kind regards
Tony