function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Tyler ZikaTyler Zika 

Tips on understanding a visualforce app I didn't code.

I've been given a requiremnet to go through an entirely custom built app that I didn't code and comment all the code. This app has 52 apex classes, 6 triggers, and 9 visualforce pages made with JavavScript. I've only been working with VF/Apex for a couple months, so this seems a bit overwhelming. Does anyone have any tips on how to effectively complete this requirement?
Best Answer chosen by Tyler Zika
SalesFORCE_enFORCErSalesFORCE_enFORCEr
You have to go through each line of code. It will be painful. All the best!

All Answers

SalesFORCE_enFORCErSalesFORCE_enFORCEr
You have to go through each line of code. It will be painful. All the best!
This was selected as the best answer
Maggie LongshoreMaggie Longshore
If you do not already have a dev environment set up, I would suggest you get a copy of the code on your own computer to make searching easier - using either sublime text with MavensMate or eclipse. I assume you have a sandbox, if not create one to explore. Put the code in source control.

Then once you can see the code with syntax highlighting choose one custom object or standard object that has a trigger or controller and look at everywhere in the code that object is referenced and try to understand how it is used in the app, look through the test classes that use it as well.

Once you understand one object do another.

Then I would look for batch classes and understand how they work.

Also look through validation rules and workflows that access the same objects to understand how they fit together.  It may also help to talk to a few users of the app and see how they use it.