function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
ClaiborneClaiborne 

Internal Server Error Problem Solved - Bad Picklist Value

I had a piece of code that seemed to be working, but at times it would suddenly throw an "Internal Server Error" and shut my page down.

By commenting out sections of the page, I finally narrowed the problem down to the display of a single field on the Visualforce page. The field is picklist that uses a global set of pick list values. In the code, the value of the pick list field was being set with a text string. The problem was that one of the text strings was mistyped (missing space between two words). Because global picklist values are "strict", the "internal server error" was being generated when the Visualforce page tried to render a pick list value that did not match one of the global pick list choices.

Once I corrected the spelling in the code, all is good.

It would help if there was a more meaningful message that "An internal server error has occurred." This was a simple problem that took me 2 hours plus time of the salesforce.com support team. I know that global pick lists are still in beta, but a meaningful message would have really helped.
SandhyaSandhya (Salesforce Developers) 
Hi Claiborne,

I understand your concern and it would really help if it has meaningful message rather than "An internal server error has occurred".You can post your ideas in success community so that other people can also vote for this form below link.

https://success.salesforce.com/

Hope this helps you!

Please mark it as solved so that it will make available for others.

Thanks and Regards
Sandhya