function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
CombooComboo 

Trigger works well in sandbox but failed in test

It works very well in sandbox, but when I am trying to write a test case for deploy, it fails me.
Here is the trigger. When a lead's owner changes, it will change that lead's Sales_Rep__c  lookup field to related  value.
trigger UpdateLeadSalesRepByOwnerTrigger on Lead (before update) {
	for (Lead lead : Trigger.new)
    {
        // Query for the user alias, which has been associated with an lead.
        User queriedUser = [SELECT Alias FROM User WHERE Id = :lead.OwnerId LIMIT 1];

// Query for sales rep by user alias
        Sales_Rep__c[] salesRep = [SELECT Name FROM Sales_Rep__c WHERE Name = :queriedUser.Alias];

// if sales rep is unique
        if (salesRep.size() == 1)
        {
            // set lead's Sales rep
            lead.Sales_Rep__c = salesRep[0].Id;
            System.debug('from trigger');
            System.debug(lead);
        }
    }
}
Here is my test code
@isTest
private class UpdateSalesRepByOwnerTriggerTestSuite
{
	static testMethod void LeadPostiveCase()
    {
        // prepare data
        User dc = [select Id from User where Alias = 'DC' limit 1];
        User jp = [select Id from User where Alias = 'JP' limit 1];
        Sales_Rep__c dcSales = new Sales_Rep__c(Name='DC');
        Sales_Rep__c jpSales = new Sales_Rep__c(Name='JP');
        insert dcSales;
        insert jpSales;
        System.debug(dcSales);
        System.debug(jpSales);
        Lead lead = new Lead(LastName='Test Lead', Company='TestCompany', OwnerId=dc.Id, Sales_Rep__c=dcSales.Id);
        insert lead;
        System.debug(lead);

// execute test
        lead.OwnerId = jp.Id;
        update lead;

System.debug(lead);
        // Verify
        System.assert(lead.Sales_Rep__c==jpSales.Id);
    }
}
Here is my debug line output
14:06:12.0 (106815151)|USER_DEBUG|[13]|DEBUG|Sales_Rep__c:{Name=DC, Id=a01630000010qPTAAY}
14:06:12.0 (106859236)|USER_DEBUG|[14]|DEBUG|Sales_Rep__c:{Name=JP, Id=a01630000010qPUAAY}
14:06:12.0 (208033855)|USER_DEBUG|[17]|DEBUG|Lead:{LastName=Test Lead, Company=TestCompany, OwnerId=00536000001pazlAAA, Sales_Rep__c=a01630000010qPTAAY, Id=00Q63000001eiDhEAI}
14:06:12.0 (254358735)|USER_DEBUG|[15]|DEBUG|from trigger
14:06:12.0 (255011803)|USER_DEBUG|[16]|DEBUG|Lead:{Id=00Q63000001eiDhEAI, IsDeleted=false, Company=TestCompany,  Sales_Rep__c=a01630000010qPUAAY}
14:06:12.0 (294976862)|USER_DEBUG|[23]|DEBUG|Lead:{LastName=Test Lead, Company=TestCompany, OwnerId=00536000001pb13AAA, Sales_Rep__c=a01630000010qPTAAY, Id=00Q63000001eiDhEAI}
What I see here, the trigger is fired, but somehow it only saved the changed owner but did not save the change of Sales_Rep__c.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Best Answer chosen by Comboo
UC InnovationUC Innovation
After line 21, query for the lead again using SOQL and use that for the rest of the function.  Although the trigger updates the Salesforce database backend, it's not reflected in the lead record that was already created.  Hopefully that solves it.

All Answers

After line 21, query for the lead again using SOQL and use that for the rest of the function.  Although the trigger updates the Salesforce database backend, it's not reflected in the lead record that was already created.  Hopefully that solves it.
This was selected as the best answer
CombooComboo
Great! It works now.

And, could you please explain to me what do you mean by the following comment, I still don't get it.
Although the trigger updates the Salesforce database backend, it's not reflected in the lead record that was already created.

The trigger will update the record (which Salesforce stores in a database), but will not update your lead variable.  To get the updated changes, you'll need to query for it again.  Glad to know that it works for you!
Chen Chen 39Chen Chen 39
OK, got it. Thank you so much Ken, you really saved me.