function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Meghan GaumondMeghan Gaumond 

How can I have the child (merged) Ideas "Status" field inherit the Master Idea "Status" field value when the Master is changed?

On the Ideas Object, how can I get the child Ideas (merged Ideas) to inherit the Status of the Master Idea if it is changed? The Ideas Object does not have record types. I tried to create a workflow rule with a field update but there is not an option to reference the child status from the master status. Process builder does not support Ideas yet so there is no option there. It seems odd to me that nobody else would have come across this issue yet. Doesn't it make sense that the merged Ideas status should update to whatever the Master Ideas status is? I've created a lookup relationship with Opportunities on Ideas and I wanted to be able to alert Opportunity Owners when an Idea became available so that they can close the loop with our customers. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get the merged Ideas status to inherit the Master Idea when it is changed? I posted this in community Questions and Pruthvi Raj suggested that I post here also. Thanks!
Doria Hamelryk VetranoDoria Hamelryk Vetrano
I had the same need regarding management of Real estate projects.
When a building status change to "Sold", all the children (appartements) must receive the same status.

I did it with Visual Flows. Here is what you have to do :

Process builder :
  • Create a process builder launched when Idea is modified
  • Calls a visual flow and pass :
    • the ID of the current Idea
    • the status of the current Idea
    • (you can launch a visual flow from a process builder)

Visual Flow :
  • Create 2 variables that will receive values from your process builder
  • Make a lookup with as filter parent Idea = ID of current Idea (using the variable that received this ID)
  • loop on all found Idea that have your master Idea as parent
  • Update the status of all children with the value you passed from your process builder
If you need more info, feel free to ask. 

Sara Richardson 7Sara Richardson 7
When I go to Process Builder in Salesforce Ideas is not in the dropdown for Choose Object and Specify When to Start the Process. Please advise.Screen Shot