function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Greg HymanGreg Hyman 

Need a Trigger to Block Salesforce from Saving Email Attachments

Our staff use the Salesforce for Outlook plugin to save important, customer-related emails to Salesforce. However, a new security standard in our organization requires that we prevent users from saving ANY email attachments in Salesforce.

Currently, we have Salesforce for Outlook configured so that users can select the attachments (if any) they would like to save with the email message. If we disable this configuration option, all attachments are saved by default. As such, the standard plugin configuration options do not appear to offer a solution for our security requirement.

I spoke with Salesforce support and they suggested I post a request to this forum for help creating an Apex trigger that would block Salesforce for Outlook from saving any attachments. Ideally, we would like the emails to be saved, even when attachments are blocked.

I've implemented a few Apex classes and triggers in the past but am totally and obviously a newbie. I've done a number of internet searches to check whether I could find an existing solution, but could not come up with anything useful.

Would anyone be able to assist with code that would help us address our need?

Thank you in advance for your help!
RbnRbn
i think this can be achieved via some config settings in Outlook.

Just go through the below link:

http://releasenotes.docs.salesforce.com/en-us/winter15/release-notes/rn_sales_salesforce_for_outlook_select_attachments.htm

Rgrds,
Rabi
Greg HymanGreg Hyman
Hi Rabi,

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, the plugin configuration settings do not meet our need. We need to prevent users from saving ANY email attachments organization-wide, rather than leaving it in the hands of the users to select which attachments to save. This is an important security requirement for us, due to the nature of our business.

Thanks again,
Greg
uri-dev1.392024776339377E12uri-dev1.392024776339377E12
Hi Greg,
I would like to suggest a different approach for dealing with your problem.
Adding email attachments to Salesforce is not the only way in which users can upload files to Salesforce.
If you want to restrict users from uploading files with confidential data to Salesforce a more holistic solution is required.
There are quite a few products that can provide you with DLP capabilities. In case you are part of a small, medium sized business and don't already have an on premise DLP solution I recommend you look at solutions classified as CASB (Cloud Access Security Brokers). In case you are part of a larger organization which already maintains a SIEM/SOC and a DLP, I can suggest SkyFormation (which I'm part of) as an application security broker between your on premise security tools and your cloud services. 
Good luck,
Uri