function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
David austinDavid austin 

As an account’s expiration approaches, send recurring email notifications to the owner - what automation tool should I use?

I'm doing a trailhead challenge and I got this wrong, but I can't figure why, or why the answer is what they said it should be.  Here is the question "As an account’s expiration approaches, send recurring email notifications to the owner (2 weeks before, 1 week before, 3 days before, and 1 day before).  What tool to use: Lightning Process Builder, Visual Workflow, Workflow, Approval"?

I said Visual Workflow, but apparently I was wrong ... it's Workflow.  Can anyone tell me why Visual Workflow would not work or why it is less preferred?  The content on that page provides no clue as far as I can tell (https://developer.salesforce.com/trailhead/business_process_automation/process_whichtool).

Thanks!
Dave
Best Answer chosen by David austin
Richard MazzolaRichard Mazzola
Dave, 

I believe this link will assist with the reason behind why Workflow was the correct answer.
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=vpm_faq_workflow_comparing.htm

Hope this helps.  
Richard

All Answers

Dave, 

I believe this link will assist with the reason behind why Workflow was the correct answer.
https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewHelpDoc?id=vpm_faq_workflow_comparing.htm

Hope this helps.  
Richard
This was selected as the best answer
David austinDavid austin
Wow, Richard, that was immensely more useful than the training material.  This in particular: "Visual Workflow ... are triggered by users rather than events".  That invaluable information is entirely missing from the trailhead training module.  Thanks.  I think the training module ... in particular, the row deadings in the table shown at the link I provided, would be much more useful if described in detail.  They're quite obtuse at best.
David austinDavid austin
Also, as a beginner I don't know how the heck I an supposed to know what this means: "sends out outbound messages without code"?  And does that mean "sends out outbound messages, without code [required to do the send]" or "sends out outbound messages-without-code [messages that don't include code]".  Very confusing for a beginner.  And what code, and why would one use code for or within a message?  All a mystery.  Not sure how we're supposed to pass the challenges when the training material is so poor.
David, I can see how that would be slightly confusing in its wording especially if you are new to salesforce and CRM automation.  Until recently sending outbound messages required a good deal of actual coding knowledge.   Salesforce has made significant progress (slight understatement since the release of lightning) in allowing customization without needing to know deep coding knowledge.  I have noticed that some of the trailhead training modules get kind of close to an answer but require you to use the other resources Salesforce has available to everyone to get the actual answer.  The help.salesforce.com site is a fantastic resource in getting more in-depth explanations of different topics.  I hope this helps some and don't get too discouraged.  I have been using Salesforce for 8+ years now and I still use the help.salesforce.com site for that next level of detail on things I don't remember.

Richard Mazzola
David austinDavid austin
Excellent ... Thanks, I just bookmarked it and will be making it a part of my learning process.