function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Amit ChattorajAmit Chattoraj 

How many Custom Summary Formula Fields are allowed on a single Report?

Hi Gurus,

How many Custom Summary Formula Fields are allowed on a single Report?
Is it 5 or 10 ?

Is there any functionality to increase this on the tool ?

Amit
nagendra 6989nagendra 6989
Hi Amit Chattoraj,

Please find the below explanantion which resolves your concern........

Custom Summary Formulas for Reports allow you to calculate values on-the-fly in a report without adding Fields or adding additional meta structure to your Salesforce org.

A formula is an algorithm that derives its value from other fields, expressions, or values. Custom summary formulas can contain 3900 or fewer characters. Custom summary formulas are available for summary, matrix, and joined reports. They can't be shared across multiple reports.

Working with Custom Summary Formulas is very similar to working with Formula Fields, with the limitation that ONLY Summary Fields are available for use, and you have to reference SUM, MAX, MIN, or AVG.

I understand that you are a bit confused is that 5 or 10, to make it clear reports and dashboards are one of the very good features of salesforce.
To make it more efficient we make use of custom summary formula fields in reports and we use filters for dashboards.

However there are cretain limitations for number of custom summary formula fields and filters in salesforce.

As of now you can add maximum upto 5(five) custom summary formula fields on a single report.

Each dashboard can have up to 3 Filter, and each Filter can have 10 Filter Options which can be increase to a maximum of 50

There are two types of custom summary formulas in salesforce

a) Standard Custom Summary Formulas - Standard custom summary formulas apply to one report type, and can be added to blocks that are based on that report type only.

b) Cross-Block Custom Summary Formulas - Cross-block custom summary formulas let you calculate values across multiple blocks in a joined report.

For more limits please go through the below link

https://help.salesforce.com/apex/HTViewHelpDoc?id=formula_field_limits.htm&language=en_US

Please let me know if this helps you ......................

Best Regards
Nagendra.P

Evan PonterEvan Ponter
"You can add up to 10 custom summary formulas to each block in a joined report. A joined report can have a total of 50 custom summary formulas" - as indicated in the Report Limits, Limitations, and Allocations documentation (https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=rd_reports_limits.htm&type=5).

You can use this to your advantage while you are waiting for the increase to be implemented on regular reports as long as
  1. You don't need to group columns (i.e. you don't need a matrix format).
    • Grouping rows (summary format) works up to 3 groups.
    • Be sure to set up your groups before you create any summary formulas
  2. You don't need bucket fields
  3. (There are other joined report limitations... especially around charting and dashboard capabilities)
Here's how: Set up a "joined report", but don't add any other blocks to it. On the first (and only) block, after you have your groupings set up, add up to 10 summary formulas. This report will function (almost) like a regular summary report

Ten Summary Formulas

I just used "RowCount" as the formula for each of these as an example, but each summary formula has the full capabilities.

If you need more than 10, you could create a second report block using the same report type, apply the same filters (you will have to keep the filters in sync across both blocks if any changes are ever made), and then create 10 more summary formula fields. I chose the Cross-Block Summary Formula option for these but you could also keep using regular Summary Formulas. Be sure to keep at least one regular field column in this second block.

Twenty Summary Formulas

You could keep going - add a 3rd, 4th, and 5th block. Each can have 10 summary formulas. You will go crazy trying to keep the filters in sync across all these blocks if you are constantly making changes, but it could work.

The moral of the story is, I'm not sure why the limit can't be increased on regular reports, since Salesforce is already supporting 50 summary formulas on joined reports.