function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Jonathan WallaceJonathan Wallace 

change what reports get opened from a button without recoding a button

we currently have a button that opens a static list of reports, what i would like to do is have a "location" be static, and be able to change what report is in that location without having to recode the button everytime. Any ideas? 
Chris  ByromChris Byrom
You can put all the reports in a specific folder, and then query for all the reports in the folder.

https://developer.salesforce.com/forums/?id=906F00000008zEMIAY 
could i do  this query on the fly? or should it go in an apex class? 
Chris  ByromChris Byrom
I would just put it in an apex controller, and use it to populate the page whenever it is loaded.
this code doesn't make sense to me, where would i specify the report folder name for my org?

folder[] ff = [select id from folder where developername = 'my report folder name?'];
id fid = (ff.isEmpty()) ? null : ff[0].id;
report[] rpts = [select id, name, description from report where ownerid = : fid and ownerid != null order by name];
return (rpts.isEmpty() == null) ? null : rpts;

i'm still learning how apex controllers work, this one is a little confusing to me. Thanks for your help!
Chris  ByromChris Byrom
Wow, I swore I added another answer to this yesterday. Weird. I simplified the code and put it in a simple controller and page. The notation above is a little hard to understand when you first start.

Controller
public class ReportPageController {
    public List<Report> reportList {get;set;}

public ReportPageController(){
        List<Folder> folders = [Select Id from Folder Where developername = 'Test_Report']; 
		List<Report> reports = new List<Report>();
		if(!folders.isEmpty()){ 
			reports = [Select Id, Name, Description from report where OwnerId =: folders[0].Id];
		}
		this.reportList = reports;
	}
}

Page
<apex:page controller="ReportPageController">
    <apex:repeat value="{!reportList}" var="report">
        {!report.Name}
    </apex:repeat>    
</apex:page>

Hope this helps.