function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
Glenn Nyhan 54Glenn Nyhan 54 

Auto Selection of Record Type at Contact Conversion

I'm faced with an interesting request. We would like to set up a process by which when a Contact record (record type equals: Board Opportunity) is converted to an Opportunity record it automatically is assigned a new Opportunity record type of Board Opportunity. Is there a way to change the programing in the New Contact Donation button on the Contact object Opportunity related list so that it acutomatically assigns the Opportunity record type of Board Opportunity over Donation or Major Gift?

Becka DBecka D
Yes! The easiest way would be to create a new custom button for the Opportunity related list on a contact, and put that button only on the page layout for that specific contact repord type. Something like the following:

/006/e?retURL=%2F{!Contact.Id}&conid={!Contact.Id}
&RecordType=**PUT-RECORD-TYPE-HERE**&cancelURL=%2F{!Contact.Id}

And just insert your Record Type ID in there. Should work!
Thanks Becka! Much appreciated. I'll give this a try. 
Hi Becka,

I just test this formula and got the following error message:

Unable to Access Page

The value of the "id" parameter contains a character that is not allowed or the value exceeds the maximum allowed length. Remove the character from the parameter value or reduce the value length and resubmit. If the error still persists, report it to our Customer Support team. Provide the URL of the page you were requesting as well as any other related information. 

Here is the formula as I installed it:

/006/e?retURL=%2F{!Contact.Id}&conid={!Contact.Id}
&RecordType='Board Opportunity'&cancelURL=%2F{!Contact.Id}
Becka DBecka D
Hey Glenn!

You will need to either put the RecordType ID in there, or use RecordType.Name = "Board Opportunity"
Hi Beka,

I tried that out and used, RecordType.Name = "Board_Opportunity" , got no syntax error but when I installed and used the button instead of taking me the Board Opportunity Opportunity record type it takes me to Opportunity Record Type called Donation. I'm wondering if I have to set up a user profile called Board Member for example and assign the Board Opportunity Opportunity record type to at profile, then set myself up on that profile and login using the Board Member profile and then see it it works? What do you think?

Thanks,

Glenn