• 10 Points
  • Member since 2018

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
As a welfare agency our salesforce is set up around three critical objects - Contacts (a Standard Object), Client Cases and Sessions (both Custom Objects).  Our client details are held in Contacts.  A client case is created for each service type a contact receives.  Each instance of service/session is recorded in the Session object under the appropriate Client Case.

Looking at our Client Case custom object (using Field Trip) I find that 20% of the objects custom fields have never been used.  Subject to discussions with the users I would like to clear/delete some of these unused fields.

My questions are - What are the pit-falls, if any, in doing something like that? What sort of things should I keep in mind or check before taking any action?  Is there a best practice guideline/policy which can give some guidance in cleaning up unused fields?  Or should I just leave the fields?   (We are up to 61% custom field usage for the Client Case custom object).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Graeme.
A strange thing is happening in the Email address field of our Contacts. After deleting an email address on saving the change the email address reappears in the Email address field. What is happening is

1. Email address entered into Contact email field and saved
  2. Later need to delete the entered email address and leave the field blank.
  3. Click ‘Edit’ button or double click on Email address field
  4. Delete entered email address
  5. Click ‘Save’
  6. Deleted Email address reappears in the Email field.

I can edit an entered email address and save and the new edited email address remains in the field.  I can also delete the old email address, enter a totally new email address and save.  The totally new email address remains in the field.  This is all good.

The problem is just when I want to leave the email address blank.

I have tried using Firefox and Chrome but the problem continues with either brouser.

Contact Email address field is not a mandatory/required field.  Therefore, so we should be able to delete an email address when we know the email address is no longer active and no replacement email address is provided.

Can you suggest what is happening and what needs to be done to correct the situation.

Regards
Graeme.

As a welfare agency our salesforce is set up around three critical objects - Contacts (a Standard Object), Client Cases and Sessions (both Custom Objects).  Our client details are held in Contacts.  A client case is created for each service type a contact receives.  Each instance of service/session is recorded in the Session object under the appropriate Client Case.

Looking at our Client Case custom object (using Field Trip) I find that 20% of the objects custom fields have never been used.  Subject to discussions with the users I would like to clear/delete some of these unused fields.

My questions are - What are the pit-falls, if any, in doing something like that? What sort of things should I keep in mind or check before taking any action?  Is there a best practice guideline/policy which can give some guidance in cleaning up unused fields?  Or should I just leave the fields?   (We are up to 61% custom field usage for the Client Case custom object).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Graeme.
A strange thing is happening in the Email address field of our Contacts. After deleting an email address on saving the change the email address reappears in the Email address field. What is happening is

1. Email address entered into Contact email field and saved
  2. Later need to delete the entered email address and leave the field blank.
  3. Click ‘Edit’ button or double click on Email address field
  4. Delete entered email address
  5. Click ‘Save’
  6. Deleted Email address reappears in the Email field.

I can edit an entered email address and save and the new edited email address remains in the field.  I can also delete the old email address, enter a totally new email address and save.  The totally new email address remains in the field.  This is all good.

The problem is just when I want to leave the email address blank.

I have tried using Firefox and Chrome but the problem continues with either brouser.

Contact Email address field is not a mandatory/required field.  Therefore, so we should be able to delete an email address when we know the email address is no longer active and no replacement email address is provided.

Can you suggest what is happening and what needs to be done to correct the situation.

Regards
Graeme.