• 0 Points
  • Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Has anyone else noticed some unexpected behavior with the latest version of the Data Loader, version 21.0?  Here is a list of just some of the issues that I've come across that do not occur when using previous versions of the Data Loader:

1. When attempting to update a small subset of fields contained in the .csv file but not all (ie. mapping only a few fields), the Data Loader throws an the Error:  Failed to find mapping for '<one of the unmapped fields in the .csv file>'.  However, if all the fields in the .csv file are mapped, it appears to work correctly.  Previous versions had no problem with mapping only a subset of fields contained in the .csv file, my guess is this is a bug.
  2. After successfully completing an Export, the Data Loader stops responding to any action button click for Insert, Update, Upsert or Delete.  However, it will let you choose Export or Export All.  I cannot tell if this one is a new "feature" or a bug.
Anyone else experiencing any similar issues?  
Thanks in advance!

I recently ran into a problem where a Visualforce page was throwing a cryptic error message related to a custom picklist (apex:selectList).  The complete error was something like:

j_id0:frmSelectProductsServicesw:filterSection:j_id10:j_id15:selectedPF:Validation Error: Value is not valid

After some digging and research here in the forums, testing and a call to Tech Support it seemed the cause and solution for similar problems didn't quite apply.  I eventually found the solution (in my case) and wanted to share it in hopes that it would help others.

The cause was due to a conflict between the underlying stored data in SFDC and how certain controls behave when rendered to HTML.  In this case, there was a double space embedded in the underlying data between the Z and I in the value Product.Family field (eg. ‘S&U Z  Internal’). 

Background:

1. For Visualforce controls (ie. apex.outputField, apex.outputText, apex:selectList) and modes (ie. edit and view), every control ultimately must renders as HTML.  Typical HTML rendering behavior suppresses any extra spaces within text.  That is why it is common practice to use the &nbsp to chain multiple spaces together. 
  2. In this case, the underlying stored data in the Product.Family field included a double space:
          ‘S&U Z  Internal’
    however when it was rendered to the screen, the HTML took control and used only a single space:
          ‘S&U Z Internal’
  3. Once the user clicked the submit button to begin the search, the picklist in this case tried to cross-reference the selected value with the actual data that was bound to the control and found no match, thus the cryptic error that was returned - “selectedPF:Validation Error: Value is not valid”.
          ‘S&U Z  Internal’ != ‘S&U Z Internal’

Funny thing is, when the underlying data is rendered in a input textbox (ie. apex.inputText), the double space is displayed.  Once I removed the double space from the underlying data, the error was fixed.

Hopefully this solution helps.

Thanks to Sreenivas Voore in Premiere Tech Support.

I'm using the Database.countQuery() passing in a dynamic SOQL statement from a Visualforce page and output the results. For example:

String sSOQL = 'SELECT count() FROM Product2 LIMIT 500';
Integer iRecCount = 0;
iRecCount = Database.countQuery(sSOQL);

ApexPages.AddMessage(new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.INFO, sSOQL));

ApexPages.AddMessage(new ApexPages.Message(ApexPages.Severity.INFO, 'Record Count = ' + iRecCount));

Only when the resulting iRecCount is >= 500 is an apex:pageMessage warning message thrown:

"use countQuery() for [select count()...] queries" 

What's unexpected is I am using the countQuery()!

Anyone run into this before?  Any solution around it?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

I'm at a loss to figure this one out.  When trying to save various files (it applies to all of them), Eclipse isn't even attempting to Save up to the Server.  It use to try to Save and only if it encountered an error would it Save Locally and report the error. 

Now, its only saves locally with no errors and only warnings with a description of "File only saved locally, not to server".  The only way I can save a file to the server is manually right-click on the file and choose Force.com \ Save to Server.  And this works fine but its maddening to now have to do this for every file.

Something is not right and I'd be grateful if some knows the solution!

Thanks in advance

I know that many of us find code snippets extremely helpful if not imperative - a developer's toolbox if you will.  Although Code Share is an excellent start to centralize helpful code, its currently geared more towards sample projects and the like.  And although the forums are filled with helpful snippets, trying to find them by choice is more like searching for Bigfoot - by the time you catch a glimpse of one in passing trying to find it later can prove challenging. 

With this in mind, I'd like to share a useful site which might be more well know to the .NET and Web Developer community out there.

For code snippets, I've been using a great site for years called CodeKeep.net. It's a good source and repository for other programming languages like .NET, Javascript, HTML and SQL.

Dave Donaldson created this site years ago and its been a terrific success even sporting its own free Visual Studio Addins.  The site also contains individual RSS Feeds for each code snippet language so you can keep up on any new snippets added. He has recently added several Salesforce.com specific categories:

• Salesforce.com - Apex
    • Salesforce.com - Visualforce

Hopefully he will soon be adding additional categories for SControl, SOSL and SOQL. You can store your snippets as Private for only you or Public to share them with others. I've added a few to start - Checkit out - ITS FREE.

In addition, hopefully there will be an Eclipse addin in the near future. I hope others find this site useful!

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 12-07-2008 04:21 PM

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 12-07-2008 04:22 PM
    I know that many of us find code snippets extremely helpful if not imperative - a developer's toolbox if you will.  Although Code Share is an excellent start to centralize helpful code, its currently geared more towards sample projects and the like.  And although the forums are filled with helpful snippets, trying to find them by choice is more like searching for Bigfoot - by the time you catch a glimpse of one in passing trying to find it later can prove challenging. 

With this in mind, I'd like to share a useful site which might be more well know to the .NET and Web Developer community out there.

For code snippets, I've been using a great site for years called CodeKeep.net. It's a good source and repository for other programming languages like .NET, Javascript, HTML and SQL.

Dave Donaldson created this site years ago and its been a terrific success even sporting its own free Visual Studio Addins.  The site also contains individual RSS Feeds for each code snippet language so you can keep up on any new snippets added. He has recently added several Salesforce.com specific categories:

• Salesforce.com - Apex
      • Salesforce.com - Visualforce

Hopefully he will soon be adding additional categories for SControl, SOSL and SOQL. You can store your snippets as Private for only you or Public to share them with others. I've added a few to start - Checkit out - ITS FREE.

In addition, hopefully there will be an Eclipse addin in the near future. I hope others find this site useful!

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 12-07-2008 04:21 PM

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 12-07-2008 04:22 PM
      Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 02-20-2009 12:32 PM
      I've just updated the Force.com IDE to version 13.0.0.2000806130415 and for the life of me cannot figure out why the code completion functionality isn't working.  I've got the Force.com perspective open but no code completion assistance appears.

For example, I'm working in a new Apex page and trying to get some assistance with any tags, like <apex:dataTable> tag and nothing.  I've also tried using the "System." global variable reference from inside a new class (as mentioned in a previous post) and nothing.  Very frustrating and is causing me to write the code using the Developer Pane through the browser.  This has slowed my productivity to a crawl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
      Mike
      Ok, this seems a little silly but am I to understand that you cannot use the LIKE operator on Picklist type fields? If the field only stores a single text item and you can't use LIKE? I know that the following isn't supported.

SELECT Id, Account, HQ_State__c FROM Account WHERE HQ_State__c LIKE 'A%'

Is there no way to find records with partial matches as a picklist entry as in the following?

For example, let say I have a picklist field called HQ_State__c for the various states in the US. Since it appears that LIKE isn't supported, can anyone suggest how I can query for all the records that have a state that starts with 'A%' for example? Using the following syntax is NOT an option for the problem I'm trying to solve:

SELECT Id, Account, HQ_State__c FROM Account
      WHERE HQ_State__c = 'Alabama'
      OR HQ_State__c = 'Alaska'
      OR HQ_State__c = 'Arizona'
      OR HQ_State__c = 'Arkansas'

Finally, if there is no solution for this, how soon can we expect a fix for this limitation in the future?

Thanks in advance!

I'm new to using the API so I need to clarify something for my own sanity.  As I understand it...

You cannot assign a NULL value directly to any sObject field like so:
          Dim acct as sforce.Account
          acct.ParentID = NULL 

so you must use the FieldsToNull approach which is something like this:
          acct.fieldsToNull = New String() {"ParentId"}

What if I have more than one field that needs setting to NULL, can I do the following:
          acct.fieldsToNull = New String() {"Website"}

or do I have to do this:
          acct.fieldsToNull = New String() {"ParentId","Website"}

If the second is the case, its ridiculous!  Do you know what kind of a headache it is to have to loop through an entire datarow just looking for NULL values (which can differ everytime), then have to create this array and then have to assign all the non Null values? 

And fieldsToNull only works when using binding.update, correct?  So if I need to set fields to NULL when creating an object do I just skip them?  If so, that's an even bigger pain!  What are the odds that someone will decide to alter the functionality of the API so the following works more efficiently?
          For j As Integer = 0 To drFiltered.Length - 1
             account = New sforce.Account
             With account
                 .Name = drFiltered(j).Item("Name")
                 .Type = drFiltered(j).Item("Type")
                 .ParentId = drFiltered(j).Item("ParentID")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Phone = drFiltered(j).Item("Phone")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Fax = drFiltered(j).Item("Fax")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Website = drFiltered(j).Item("Website")    'may or may not be NULL
             End With
             accs(j) = account
          Next
          Dim sr() As sforce.SaveResult = _binding.create(accs)

Sorry, but I'm incredibly frustrated with this!

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 07-25-2005 10:51 AM

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 07-25-2005 10:53 AM

I'm new to the community and couldn't find anything specific after searching through the messages about how to query for deleted records using the sForce Explorer.  If there is a way, can some one fill me in?

Thanks in advance!

I recently ran into a problem where a Visualforce page was throwing a cryptic error message related to a custom picklist (apex:selectList).  The complete error was something like:

j_id0:frmSelectProductsServicesw:filterSection:j_id10:j_id15:selectedPF:Validation Error: Value is not valid

After some digging and research here in the forums, testing and a call to Tech Support it seemed the cause and solution for similar problems didn't quite apply.  I eventually found the solution (in my case) and wanted to share it in hopes that it would help others.

The cause was due to a conflict between the underlying stored data in SFDC and how certain controls behave when rendered to HTML.  In this case, there was a double space embedded in the underlying data between the Z and I in the value Product.Family field (eg. ‘S&U Z  Internal’). 

Background:

1. For Visualforce controls (ie. apex.outputField, apex.outputText, apex:selectList) and modes (ie. edit and view), every control ultimately must renders as HTML.  Typical HTML rendering behavior suppresses any extra spaces within text.  That is why it is common practice to use the &nbsp to chain multiple spaces together. 
      2. In this case, the underlying stored data in the Product.Family field included a double space:
              ‘S&U Z  Internal’
        however when it was rendered to the screen, the HTML took control and used only a single space:
              ‘S&U Z Internal’
      3. Once the user clicked the submit button to begin the search, the picklist in this case tried to cross-reference the selected value with the actual data that was bound to the control and found no match, thus the cryptic error that was returned - “selectedPF:Validation Error: Value is not valid”.

Funny thing is, when the underlying data is rendered in a input textbox (ie. apex.inputText), the double space is displayed.  Once I removed the double space from the underlying data, the error was fixed.

Hi, 

Present Scenario: When we create a record(for any object) bydefault it appears on the "Salesforce sidebar Recent items". And when we click on that link it redirects to a particular object. This is the salesforce feature.

Requirement:  The links that apperar on "Salesforce sidebar Recent items"  on creation of record redirects to that object. Instead I want to redirect to another object.

How can I achieve this?

Pls help. I need your inputs/suggestions ASAP. This is an urgent requirement.

Regards,

Neha G Patel

Does anyone know if there is a new release coming up for IDE? Are there alternatives for force.com ide? 

• September 28, 2011

Background:

‘S&U Z  Internal’
              ‘S&U Z Internal’

Why do I get "twistSection is not defined" javascript errors for the following use of pageBlockSection?

<apex:page standardController="Account" extensions="OEMTeamReportController" showHeader="true" tabStyle="account" standardStylesheets="true" title="OEM Services Team Resources"> <apex:form > <apex:pageBlock title="OEM Opportunities for Review"> <apex:repeat value="{!accounts}" var="this_account"> <apex:pageBlockSection title="{!this_account.acct.Name}" columns="1" collapsible="true">

<table class="opps_table">
      etc...

I have a component that accepts a Boolean attribute. Certain combinations of inline functions generate the error message shown in the subject line. See code below for details:

<!-- this produces the error --> <c:myComponent myBooleanValue="{!LEN(myObj__c.myField__c) == 0}" .../> <!-- this produces the error --> <c:myComponent myBooleanValue="{!LEN(myObj__c.myField__c) = 0}" .../> <!-- this works! --> <c:myComponent myBooleanValue="{!NOT(LEN(myObj__c.myField__c) > 0)}" .../>

Obviously I have a workaround (the last example) but I'm curious to know why the other two do not work.

Hi,

I want to override the Convert Lead Button inorder to do a Javascript validation. I want the user to go ahead with Convert only if the Status is 'Closed -Converted'.

I have written an S-Control to do so, the check works fine but when the page is redirected to the leadConvert.jsp it goes into infinite loop.

Here is the code -

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <script type="text/javascript" src="/js/functions.js"></script> <script src="/soap/ajax/11.1/connection.js"></script> <script> function pageInit() { var leadStatus= "{!Lead.Status}"; if(leadStatus== 'Closed - Converted') { this.parent.frames.location.replace("/lead/leadconvert.jsp?retURL={!Lead.Id}&id={!Lead.Id}"); } else { alert('Error Message'); this.parent.frames.location.replace("/{!Lead.Id}"); } } pageInit(); </script> </html>

Can someone please help me in solving this?

Thanks,

Jina

I'm at a loss to figure this one out.  When trying to save various files (it applies to all of them), Eclipse isn't even attempting to Save up to the Server.  It use to try to Save and only if it encountered an error would it Save Locally and report the error. 

Now, its only saves locally with no errors and only warnings with a description of "File only saved locally, not to server".  The only way I can save a file to the server is manually right-click on the file and choose Force.com \ Save to Server.  And this works fine but its maddening to now have to do this for every file.

Something is not right and I'd be grateful if some knows the solution!

Thanks in advance

I know my sandbox URL, and I want to change the server from my production environment to the sandbox url. Under my outlook's salesforce options, I can see Username, Password, and Server, but I can't edit the server field. Anyone know how I could fix this? I want to add some test cases to my sandbox already.
      • November 03, 2008
      Hi There,
      Does anyone else see this: Visualforce Page Editor (Dev Mode) in FF 3.0.1 blurry and almost non-usable.
      It drove me to the point where I tried IE :(    Of course, the Force.com Eclipse Plug-In works wonderfully...
      Unfortunately I don't have a place to host an image of the issue.
      I've just updated the Force.com IDE to version 13.0.0.2000806130415 and for the life of me cannot figure out why the code completion functionality isn't working.  I've got the Force.com perspective open but no code completion assistance appears.

For example, I'm working in a new Apex page and trying to get some assistance with any tags, like <apex:dataTable> tag and nothing.  I've also tried using the "System." global variable reference from inside a new class (as mentioned in a previous post) and nothing.  Very frustrating and is causing me to write the code using the Developer Pane through the browser.  This has slowed my productivity to a crawl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
      Mike
      Yesterday I needed to deploy a minor change to an scontrol to my production org and ran into a serious problem.  This is the first time I've tried this other than a test trigger.  I made the change in sandbox and tested it, then selected Deploy to Server and ran into a buzzsaw.
      1. The IDE wanted to sync everything, which for some reason includes a lot of things that have not changed.  This is related to the synchronization issue I noted in my last post in this thread: Force.com IDE Synchronization Issue
      2. I deselected everything and then selected only the one scontrol I needed to update.  Validation failed because I have several triggers I am working on in the sandbox which are nowhere near ready for production, and do not currently have test coverage.  Apparently it validates everything, even when not selected!
      This prevented me from using deployment and I had to update that scontrol.  So I bypassed good change control and simply pasted in the update directly into the production UI!

So are we seriously expected to cover even developmental triggers/classes with test methods, when all we need to do is update a simple scontrol?  That's silly.  There should be a way to selectively deploy exactly what we want without trying to sync everything, and on validation it should only look at what is selected.

Mark

I'm new to using the API so I need to clarify something for my own sanity.  As I understand it...

You cannot assign a NULL value directly to any sObject field like so:
          Dim acct as sforce.Account
          acct.ParentID = NULL 

so you must use the FieldsToNull approach which is something like this:

What if I have more than one field that needs setting to NULL, can I do the following:
          acct.fieldsToNull = New String() {"Website"}

or do I have to do this:
          acct.fieldsToNull = New String() {"ParentId","Website"}

If the second is the case, its ridiculous!  Do you know what kind of a headache it is to have to loop through an entire datarow just looking for NULL values (which can differ everytime), then have to create this array and then have to assign all the non Null values? 

And fieldsToNull only works when using binding.update, correct?  So if I need to set fields to NULL when creating an object do I just skip them?  If so, that's an even bigger pain!  What are the odds that someone will decide to alter the functionality of the API so the following works more efficiently?
          For j As Integer = 0 To drFiltered.Length - 1
             account = New sforce.Account
             With account
                 .Name = drFiltered(j).Item("Name")
                 .Type = drFiltered(j).Item("Type")
                 .ParentId = drFiltered(j).Item("ParentID")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Phone = drFiltered(j).Item("Phone")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Fax = drFiltered(j).Item("Fax")    'may or may not be NULL
                 .Website = drFiltered(j).Item("Website")    'may or may not be NULL
             End With
             accs(j) = account
          Next
          Dim sr() As sforce.SaveResult = _binding.create(accs)

Sorry, but I'm incredibly frustrated with this!

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 07-25-2005 10:51 AM

Message Edited by SatelliteMike on 07-25-2005 10:53 AM