• 15 Points
  • Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Has anyone out there tried to sync SFDC-to-iCal with SF3 and iCal-to-gCal with Spanning Sync? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences. There's a lot of interest in syncing calendars between SFDC and gCal, and in theory this should be a solution. For Mac users. :-)

Regards,
Charlie
Spanning Sync
  • May 02, 2007
I'm trying to figure out how to sync multi-day events from an external calendar with SFDC, which doesn't support multi-day events, and looking for best practices. Has anyone done this? How does Outlook Edition handle this situation?

Thanks!
-Charlie

ps. And put me down for a feature request: support for multi-day events. :-)
  • July 27, 2006
Let's say I create a new event and set it to recur monthly on the last day of the month. The created SObject includes these fields and values (among others):

IsRecurrence = 'true'
RecurrenceType = 'RecursMonthlyNth'
RecurrenceInterval = 1
RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask = 127
RecurrenceInstance = 'Last'

But what that looks like to me is the last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the month. Am I misunderstanding the RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask field?

Or, since there's no way in the SFDC UI to specify multiple Nth days, should I take the '127' value to be a special case meaning "day", as in the UI? And if that's true, is there a way, using the API, to create an event that recurs on the last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the month?

If I change the event to recur on the last Sunday of every month, RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask is set to '1', as I would expect.

Thanks!
-Charlie
  • July 26, 2006
Let's say I have an object that contains a reference field that can reference either a user or a group and want to display a picker for that field. I know how to display a picker for one type or the other, but it's not clear to me how to specify both field types. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 24, 2006
I'm trying to include a Lookup control in an application exopsed via a custom URL tab, but not have run into a problem. When my (PHP) script tries to get the contents of the popup (by making a request to something like https://na1.salesforce.com/_ui/common/data/LookupPage?lknm=cas3&lkfm=editPage&lktp=003&maxw=11361 and passing a cookie with sid=[my valid session]), I get a message sayng there's something wrong with my session. However, the exact same approach works fine with the calendar.jsp popup. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 22, 2006
I'm writing an app that needs to know about the user's globals and (potentially all of but probably just a couple of) object definitions. The first version calls describeGlobal() once and then calls describeSObjects() once, passing the array of types from the first call to the second. The results are stored in memory (in the browser) and manipulated with Javascript. The good news is that I'm only making 2 API calls. The bad news is they're probably fairly computationally expensive on the SFDC side, and they generate a lot of data that never gets used at all.

I'm considering making describeSObject() calls as needed (when the user selects an object type and I need its fields). This optimizes for # of bytes traferred but not # of API calls.

So my question is, which is preferred? Or does anyone care? (And if no one cares, I'd like to request JOINs and ORDER BY clauses in SOQL. :))

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 10, 2006
I'm not sure where this message belongs, but here goes.

If two ISV's both sell apps built on AppExchange OEM Edition, and a single customer wants to subscribe to both, does salesforce.com get paid twice the $25/month fee for the platform? E.g., if each app costs $50/month ($25 of which goes to SFDC for OEM Edition), does the customer wind up paying $100/month?

It seems to me that the customer should be able to subscribe directly to the platform for $25/month and then add apps ala carte. Or is this how it works?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 01, 2006
Inquiring developers want to know. :)

-c
  • May 24, 2006
Spanning Salesforce has what I'm sure is a disproportionally large percentage of Mac users. But I suspect that Salesforce.com does too. Anyone at SFDC care to share what percentage of the user base is running OS X as opposed to Windows?

Thanks
c
  • May 12, 2006
I'd like to be able to query for events that are either one-time events or are "parent" recurring events (where IsRecurrence = true), which is to say I don't want to have all of the individual events created by a single recurring events returned. Is there a way to do this?

I almost suspect the IsRecurrence field wound up meaning the opposite of what it should have. If there were two fields: IsRecurring (true for the event that defines the series) and IsRecurrence (true for the events created by the series), it would be easy to perform the query I'm looking for.

Or am I just confused?

Thanks,
charlie
  • May 11, 2006
As part of my prep work for AppExchange registration, my graphic designer is building our EPS product logo. She reports trouble using Illustrator 10 to open the "for AppExchange" EPS file from the AppExchange Resources site:
Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble incorporating the AppExchange part of the logo into my Illustrator file (in order to create a vector-based EPS). I get an error when I try to open it that says it was created with a version newer than my own. Kinda weird, because I can place it in my Photoshop file just fine. I have Illustrator 10. Not sure what to do about that...
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 12, 2006
When I set up my Developer Edition account, it came prepopulated with a bunch of data with "current" dates. Now that I've had my account for a while, those dates are old. Is there a way to get all of that data loaded again with "current" dates? If not, how to SFDC SE's make sure their data is current for demos?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 11, 2006
I posted a question on the general discussion board, but it really belongs here:

The requirements for AppExchange registration include: "Uses a unique client ID for all service calls", but I can't find any mention of this in the API documentation. How do I supply a client ID? (I'm using PHP and the older PHP toolkit that uses v2.5 of the SOAP API.)

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 10, 2006
The requirements for AppExchange registration include: "Uses a unique client ID for all service calls", but I can't find any mention of this in the API documentation. How do I supply a client ID? (I'm using PHP and the older PHP toolkit that uses v2.5 of the SOAP API.)

Thanks,
Charlie

Message Edited by cwood on 04-10-2006 01:51 PM

• April 10, 2006
My app uses the SOAP API and I want to create links back to the Salesforce.com application. I understand that I need to get the server name for the link target from the serverUrl field in th LoginResult, but that field contains (for me anyway) "na1-api.salesforce.com". Shouldn't I be building links to na1, not na1-api?

If I use the hostname from the LoginResult, I build a link that looks like https://na1-api.salesforce.com/00Q30000006xrFvEAI, which forces me to (re-)authenticate even if my browser has an active session. (If I pase that link back in the address bar, I'm forced to re-authenticate again.)

If I instead use "na1.salesforce.com", I'm not forced to re-authenticate, which is the desired behavior.

Can I get the hostname from LoginResult and strip "-api" from it? Will this work with EMEA and AP?

Thanks,
Charlie

Message Edited by cwood on 04-10-2006 01:38 PM

• April 10, 2006
If I specify a batch size of 25 and then perform a query like "SELECT FirstName, LastName from contact", will I get the 25 most recently created contacts?

If not, which contacts will I get? And if not, how can I query for the 25 most recently created contacts?

Thanks,
Charlie

Message Edited by cwood on 04-05-2006 10:17 AM

• April 05, 2006
I want to mimic the "recently viewed" functionality in SFDC in my AppExchange API application, but I don't see any fields in the documentation that would allow me to determine when an object was viewed. Is there a way to do this via the API?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 05, 2006
Kudos to SFDC for the new status info available at http://status.salesforce.com/! Is this information available via the SOAP (or any other, I suppose) API?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • February 16, 2006
This question has been asked a couple of times before (and apparently answered) but I still can't figure out how to get it working. I want to call retrieve (from PHP) and pass it multiple ID's in an array. But when I do, I get the following error:

org.xml.sax.SAXException: SimpleDeserializer encountered a child element, which is NOT expected, in something it was trying to deserialize.

It works fine when I pass a single ID (as a string). Is there a fix, or a workaround, or anything that can get me where I need to go?

Much thanks in advance,
Charlie
  • February 06, 2006
(Copied from the Perl/PHP board, since it's not language-specific.)

I have some code that has been running successfully against v2.5 of the SOAP API that suddenly stopped working today and instead throws a CURL/SSL error. I also get an error, which I assume I shouldn't, when I simply try to use CURL to access the API server.

Has it moved from na1-api.salesforce.com:443?

$ curl -v https://na1-api.salesforce.com
* About to connect() to na1-api.salesforce.com port 443
* Trying 204.14.234.40... * connected
* Connected to na1-api.salesforce.com (204.14.234.40) port 443
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
* CAfile: /usr/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt
CApath: none
* Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to na1-api.salesforce.com:443
* Closing connection #0
curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to na1-api.salesforce.com:443
Thanks,
Charlie
  • January 30, 2006
Kudos to SFDC for the new status info available at http://status.salesforce.com/! Is this information available via the SOAP (or any other, I suppose) API?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • February 16, 2006
Held alongside salesforce.com’s annual conference (taking place at Moscone Center in San Francisco), adn@dreamforce will be the place to learn about and get hands on experience with everything we’ve been cooking up for the new Winter 07 release.  You’ll see new APIs, new tools, new apps – salesforce.com’s biggest platform annoucement ever. 

http://salesforce.com/conference/developers.jsp

(And if you register as a develope using the AppExchange Seminar discount code DEVGR06 you'll get an extra $100 off.)

Feel free to respond to this thread with any questions or conference feature requests.

• July 31, 2006
Let's say I create a new event and set it to recur monthly on the last day of the month. The created SObject includes these fields and values (among others):

IsRecurrence = 'true'
RecurrenceType = 'RecursMonthlyNth'
RecurrenceInterval = 1
RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask = 127
RecurrenceInstance = 'Last'

But what that looks like to me is the last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the month. Am I misunderstanding the RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask field?

Or, since there's no way in the SFDC UI to specify multiple Nth days, should I take the '127' value to be a special case meaning "day", as in the UI? And if that's true, is there a way, using the API, to create an event that recurs on the last Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the month?

If I change the event to recur on the last Sunday of every month, RecurrenceDayOfWeekMask is set to '1', as I would expect.

Thanks!
-Charlie
  • July 26, 2006
I posted this question already, but after over a week no one has replied, so I'll rephrase it here. Surely we're not the only ones who have encountered this issue, and it's stalling any further progress.

We've been successfully retrieving a list of Lead and Contact results using PHP. We're querying the fields LastName, FirstName, Title, Street, City, State, PostalCode, Country, Phone, Email, and Id.

When we add ANY other field, whether it's a standard field such as Fax or Description, or a custom field, the contents of the [any] part of the object changes from a value to an array containing two items.

Before Any Additional Field:
stdClass Object
(
    [done] => 1
    [queryLocator] =>
    [records] => Array
        (
            [0] => stdClass Object
                (
                    [type] => Lead
                    [Id] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => 00Q3000000BK8qbEAD
                            [1] => 00Q3000000BK8qbEAD
                        )
                    [any] => BenFaustna /naVT12345ben@eem.tv89723472
                )

After Any Additional Field:
stdClass Object
(
    [done] => 1
    [queryLocator] =>
    [records] => Array
        (
            [0] => stdClass Object
                (
                    [type] => Lead
                    [Id] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => 00Q3000000BK8qbEAD
                            [1] => 00Q3000000BK8qbEAD
                        )
                    [any] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => BenFaustna /naVT12345ben@eem.tv89723472
                            [1] =>
                        )
                )
Let's say I have an object that contains a reference field that can reference either a user or a group and want to display a picker for that field. I know how to display a picker for one type or the other, but it's not clear to me how to specify both field types. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 24, 2006
I'm trying to include a Lookup control in an application exopsed via a custom URL tab, but not have run into a problem. When my (PHP) script tries to get the contents of the popup (by making a request to something like https://na1.salesforce.com/_ui/common/data/LookupPage?lknm=cas3&lkfm=editPage&lktp=003&maxw=11361 and passing a cookie with sid=[my valid session]), I get a message sayng there's something wrong with my session. However, the exact same approach works fine with the calendar.jsp popup. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 22, 2006
I am attempting to update the 'Contact' table with the following codes.

custom fields:

MaxLoss__c (percentage)

update($id, $maxLoss)
{
$fieldsToUpdate = array('Id'=>$id, 'MaxLoss__c'=>$maxLoss);

try {
 sObject = new SObject();
        $sObject->fields = $fieldsToUpdate;
        $sObject->type = 'Contact';
        $contact = $mySforceConnection->update(array ($sObject));

I'm writing an app that needs to know about the user's globals and (potentially all of but probably just a couple of) object definitions. The first version calls describeGlobal() once and then calls describeSObjects() once, passing the array of types from the first call to the second. The results are stored in memory (in the browser) and manipulated with Javascript. The good news is that I'm only making 2 API calls. The bad news is they're probably fairly computationally expensive on the SFDC side, and they generate a lot of data that never gets used at all.

I'm considering making describeSObject() calls as needed (when the user selects an object type and I need its fields). This optimizes for # of bytes traferred but not # of API calls.

So my question is, which is preferred? Or does anyone care? (And if no one cares, I'd like to request JOINs and ORDER BY clauses in SOQL. :))

Thanks,
Charlie
  • June 10, 2006
I'd like to be able to query for events that are either one-time events or are "parent" recurring events (where IsRecurrence = true), which is to say I don't want to have all of the individual events created by a single recurring events returned. Is there a way to do this?

I almost suspect the IsRecurrence field wound up meaning the opposite of what it should have. If there were two fields: IsRecurring (true for the event that defines the series) and IsRecurrence (true for the events created by the series), it would be easy to perform the query I'm looking for.

Or am I just confused?

Thanks,
charlie
  • May 11, 2006
As part of my prep work for AppExchange registration, my graphic designer is building our EPS product logo. She reports trouble using Illustrator 10 to open the "for AppExchange" EPS file from the AppExchange Resources site:
Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble incorporating the AppExchange part of the logo into my Illustrator file (in order to create a vector-based EPS). I get an error when I try to open it that says it was created with a version newer than my own. Kinda weird, because I can place it in my Photoshop file just fine. I have Illustrator 10. Not sure what to do about that...
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 12, 2006
When I set up my Developer Edition account, it came prepopulated with a bunch of data with "current" dates. Now that I've had my account for a while, those dates are old. Is there a way to get all of that data loaded again with "current" dates? If not, how to SFDC SE's make sure their data is current for demos?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 11, 2006
I posted a question on the general discussion board, but it really belongs here:

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 10, 2006

Thanks,
Charlie

Message Edited by cwood on 04-10-2006 01:51 PM

• April 10, 2006
My app uses the SOAP API and I want to create links back to the Salesforce.com application. I understand that I need to get the server name for the link target from the serverUrl field in th LoginResult, but that field contains (for me anyway) "na1-api.salesforce.com". Shouldn't I be building links to na1, not na1-api?

If I use the hostname from the LoginResult, I build a link that looks like https://na1-api.salesforce.com/00Q30000006xrFvEAI, which forces me to (re-)authenticate even if my browser has an active session. (If I pase that link back in the address bar, I'm forced to re-authenticate again.)

If I instead use "na1.salesforce.com", I'm not forced to re-authenticate, which is the desired behavior.

Can I get the hostname from LoginResult and strip "-api" from it? Will this work with EMEA and AP?

Thanks,
Charlie

Message Edited by cwood on 04-10-2006 01:38 PM

• April 10, 2006
If I specify a batch size of 25 and then perform a query like "SELECT FirstName, LastName from contact", will I get the 25 most recently created contacts?

If not, which contacts will I get? And if not, how can I query for the 25 most recently created contacts?

Thanks,
Charlie

• April 05, 2006
I want to mimic the "recently viewed" functionality in SFDC in my AppExchange API application, but I don't see any fields in the documentation that would allow me to determine when an object was viewed. Is there a way to do this via the API?

Thanks,
Charlie
  • April 05, 2006
According to what I read in the docs the calls should work the same describeObjectResult should include an array of the Fields[] in a given object. However if I use endpoint

https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/5.0

I get back a list of Fields[], and if I use endpoint

https://www.salesforce.com/services/Soap/u/7.0

Fields[] is a single field not an array.

I am using the API from the old PHP toolkit.
  • March 09, 2006