• 0 Points
  • Member since 2005

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I have an intended unique constraint on a custom field in a Case.  The intent is to prevent duplicate similar cases from entering the system.

It pretty much works as expected, I only get one Case record for the each unique key, regardless of how many web-to-case submission.

The problem is that for each duplicate submission, I get multiple emails sent to me.  One almost imediatly, one a few hours later, then one a day later.

How can I turn this behavior off?  Or at the minimum, add useful information to the email indicating that it is a "duplicate" email.
Would turning off "debug" or not sending "debugemail" turn this off?  I can't find any documentation regarding these hidden fields.

Here's a sample email content:
Email Subject: Salesforce Case Alert
Sender: QA_SUPPORT@salesforce.com
Content:

Alert:  Salesforce experienced the following problem creating the case below:

Reason: common.exception.UniqueConstraintViolationException: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00001: unique constraint (CORE.AK2CUSTOM_UNIQUE_VALUE) violated
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 362
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 192
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 30
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 1640
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.TCASE", line 1178
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.TCASE", line 1287
ORA-06512: at line 1
: {call tCase.insert_detail(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)})}

Record Information:

00NC00000011axi = test@test.com
    debug = 1
    debugEmail = xxxmyemailxxx
    description = assdf2
    email = test
    encoding = UTF-8
    external = 1
    name = Test
    orgid = 00DC0000000DRf1
    phone = 1234
    retURL = http://
    subject = Test
    submit = Submit Query

To incorporate this case into Salesforce you can key in the data above.

If you have any questions, please click on Help & Training at the top right of any page within Salesforce.

Thank you!

Customer Support
salesforce.com, inc.
The Landmark @ One Market, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
Email: QA_SUPPORT@salesforce.com
Phone: (415) 901-7010
Fax: (415) 901-5593

• December 15, 2006
I got one of these exceptions from my API calls yesterday.  What does it mean?
     common.util.ConnectionPool$ConnectionPoolTimeOutException: Request timed out waiting for connection.

It happened at 10:19:06AM Eastern time on 9/5/2006.

Note: common.util.ConnectionPool$ConnectionPoolTimeoutException is not one of my classes or .Net classes.
Appears to be an internal Salesforce (Jakarta Struts) exception.

What can I do to prevent it?

• September 06, 2006
Is Salesforce still having problems with the API servers or network routing?
I get "System.Net.WebException: The operation has timed-out." a few times a day.
Perhaps on as much of 10% of my API calls.

Thanks,
  • January 26, 2006
Help says:
Who can use Outlook Edition?
Outlook Edition is available to all users of all Salesforce Editions. Note that access to use Outlook Edition is set at an organization level. Administrators cannot enable Outlook Edition for some users and not others.

I can't find the location to enable/disable this feature.
Where is it?

Thanks,
  • January 09, 2006
Add invitee to an event sends out an email message with the following link:
eventresponse.jsp?p2=

How does this ID relate to the ID of the corresponding EventAttendee object ?

Thanks,
  • November 28, 2005
I don't see where I can customize the event invitation email?
It is not listed in any of my "Communication Templates".

Am I missing something?
  • November 22, 2005
We have been experiencing "outages" on API calls. The API server (na1-api.salesforce.com) refuses to accept new SSL connections.

We have incorporated a retry strategy to retry the API call until it succeeds; with back-off time incrementing 100 milli-seconds each time. We expected a low number of retries before it succeeds.

However, that is not the case!
After the initial failure, our retry strategy kicks in as expected, but the recovery can take anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute.

What is going on?? Is there a better retry/recovery strategy?
We cannot afford to have a thread waiting around for over a minute retrying an external SOAP call. Must we create our own job queue, to deal with possible "outages" ?

Another interesting data point.. It appears that these outages appear near the hour mark. Once at 2am, another time at 4pm (Eastern).
  • November 22, 2005
It seems that most API error results in a SoapHeaderException, where I can retreive the 'Code' property easily.

However, INVALID_SESSION_ID error throws a more generic SoapException. One cannot easily determine the fault without parsing a the 'Detail' Xml.

Questions:
Are there ANY OTHER faults that throws a SoapException?
Why is INVALID_SESION_ID fault special?
What is the recommended way of dealing with these faults? In the simplest form, I want to provide application specific error messages; or handle each kind of fault separately.
  • October 23, 2005

You need to pass both the SessionId and API_Url to your component.
The component must verify that the Url is an https  to a *.salesforce.com domain.

Make sure that the underlying HTTPS aborts if the server certificate is not valid.  You don't want to be sending data to an imposter.

As Benji remarked, you can use GetUserInfo to perform the SessionId validation.

• September 18, 2005

Why can't I place an S-Control in my home page?

The only work around I found is fairly convoluted.
    create an S-Control
    create a home page custom link to the s-control
    inspect the link.  it is of the form /servlet/servletintegration.jsp?.....  (I had to place the link into a lay out first)
    create a home page HTML component
          as an IFRAME with the source as the custom link (from the previous step)

Is there a better way of doing this?

What I really need is API access from the home page.

• August 24, 2005

In order to implement single sign-on between SalesForce and our custom webservices application.  I maintain a map for each user between Salesforce login and the custom application login.

I'm willing to use Salesforce's login as the primary login for the user.  The strategy is to retreive the Salesforce session using an s-control and send it to my custom application which will call getUserInfo() from the server to retrieve the Salesforce LoginId.  If the Id is found in the map, then the Salesforce user is considered authenticated with respect to the custom application.

Here's the problem:

The server cannot call getUserInfo() to a well known Salesforce SOAP endpoint.  The call requires a "serverURL" header parameter.  The only way I can obtain this URL is to pass it along with the session Id to my web service.

There lies the problem... I'm trying to authenticate the client (that he is a valid user in my system)  I cannot trust him to tell me the SOAP endpoint to call getUserInfo(). 

Any hacker worth his salt, will just pass a URL to his own server, which implements getUserInfo().

Of course, there are a few things I can do to improve the situation.  However they require that Salesforce "put in writing and support it forever"
   - I can check that the server URL is to "salesforce.com" domain (this assumption fails if Salesforce is ever going to be installed within an enterprise)
   - Salesforce can suport a "well known, secure" web service call to "decode the session ID" (this is more-or-less required if Salesforce wants to be the authenticator for single sign-on.)

Any suggestions?

• August 21, 2005

In my developer account an Event object has a "Type" field, which is a pick list.  This fields comes by default as part of the standard Event object.  However, the field is "hidden" for all profiles.

What is the purpose of the field?

Why is it hidden by default?

Why can't I set the value of the field via the create() API.

• August 17, 2005

Using a developer account, customize an "Activities and Tasks" report.  There are a few "unexplained" summary columns.

Closed -- what does "closed" mean?   Activities that occured in the past?  How does one "close" an event?

Is Online Meeitng  -- is this a hidden field, if so, it is pretty well hidden.  Where can I find it?  how can I let users set this flag?

• August 16, 2005
I have an intended unique constraint on a custom field in a Case.  The intent is to prevent duplicate similar cases from entering the system.

It pretty much works as expected, I only get one Case record for the each unique key, regardless of how many web-to-case submission.

The problem is that for each duplicate submission, I get multiple emails sent to me.  One almost imediatly, one a few hours later, then one a day later.

How can I turn this behavior off?  Or at the minimum, add useful information to the email indicating that it is a "duplicate" email.
Would turning off "debug" or not sending "debugemail" turn this off?  I can't find any documentation regarding these hidden fields.

Here's a sample email content:
Email Subject: Salesforce Case Alert
Sender: QA_SUPPORT@salesforce.com
Content:

Alert:  Salesforce experienced the following problem creating the case below:

Reason: common.exception.UniqueConstraintViolationException: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00001: unique constraint (CORE.AK2CUSTOM_UNIQUE_VALUE) violated
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 362
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 192
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 30
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.CCUSTOMFIELDDATA", line 1640
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.TCASE", line 1178
ORA-06512: at "SLEEPY.TCASE", line 1287
ORA-06512: at line 1
: {call tCase.insert_detail(?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?,?)})}

Record Information:

00NC00000011axi = test@test.com
    debug = 1
    debugEmail = xxxmyemailxxx
    description = assdf2
    email = test
    encoding = UTF-8
    external = 1
    name = Test
    orgid = 00DC0000000DRf1
    phone = 1234
    retURL = http://
    subject = Test
    submit = Submit Query

To incorporate this case into Salesforce you can key in the data above.

If you have any questions, please click on Help & Training at the top right of any page within Salesforce.

Thank you!

Customer Support
salesforce.com, inc.
The Landmark @ One Market, Suite 300
San Francisco, CA 94105
Email: QA_SUPPORT@salesforce.com
Phone: (415) 901-7010
Fax: (415) 901-5593

• December 15, 2006
Help says:
Who can use Outlook Edition?
Outlook Edition is available to all users of all Salesforce Editions. Note that access to use Outlook Edition is set at an organization level. Administrators cannot enable Outlook Edition for some users and not others.

I can't find the location to enable/disable this feature.
Where is it?

Thanks,
  • January 09, 2006
We have been experiencing "outages" on API calls. The API server (na1-api.salesforce.com) refuses to accept new SSL connections.

We have incorporated a retry strategy to retry the API call until it succeeds; with back-off time incrementing 100 milli-seconds each time. We expected a low number of retries before it succeeds.

However, that is not the case!
After the initial failure, our retry strategy kicks in as expected, but the recovery can take anywhere from 30 seconds to over a minute.

What is going on?? Is there a better retry/recovery strategy?
We cannot afford to have a thread waiting around for over a minute retrying an external SOAP call. Must we create our own job queue, to deal with possible "outages" ?

Another interesting data point.. It appears that these outages appear near the hour mark. Once at 2am, another time at 4pm (Eastern).
  • November 22, 2005

In a text field is possible to set up a default value so that when a new record is the field is auto populated.  But the user can over ride it if they wish?

Thanks!

Mark

Why can't I place an S-Control in my home page?

The only work around I found is fairly convoluted.
    create an S-Control
    create a home page custom link to the s-control
    inspect the link.  it is of the form /servlet/servletintegration.jsp?.....  (I had to place the link into a lay out first)
    create a home page HTML component
          as an IFRAME with the source as the custom link (from the previous step)

Is there a better way of doing this?

What I really need is API access from the home page.

• August 24, 2005

In order to implement single sign-on between SalesForce and our custom webservices application.  I maintain a map for each user between Salesforce login and the custom application login.

I'm willing to use Salesforce's login as the primary login for the user.  The strategy is to retreive the Salesforce session using an s-control and send it to my custom application which will call getUserInfo() from the server to retrieve the Salesforce LoginId.  If the Id is found in the map, then the Salesforce user is considered authenticated with respect to the custom application.

Here's the problem:

The server cannot call getUserInfo() to a well known Salesforce SOAP endpoint.  The call requires a "serverURL" header parameter.  The only way I can obtain this URL is to pass it along with the session Id to my web service.

There lies the problem... I'm trying to authenticate the client (that he is a valid user in my system)  I cannot trust him to tell me the SOAP endpoint to call getUserInfo(). 

Any hacker worth his salt, will just pass a URL to his own server, which implements getUserInfo().

Of course, there are a few things I can do to improve the situation.  However they require that Salesforce "put in writing and support it forever"
   - I can check that the server URL is to "salesforce.com" domain (this assumption fails if Salesforce is ever going to be installed within an enterprise)
   - Salesforce can suport a "well known, secure" web service call to "decode the session ID" (this is more-or-less required if Salesforce wants to be the authenticator for single sign-on.)

Any suggestions?

• August 21, 2005