• 25 Points
  • Member since 2006

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I've turned on field history for selected fields in the Account and Contact objects, as well as in a couple of custom objects.

Now I need to access the history from an external application. Custom objects are easy (and slick): just read and process the contents of the object's history table, such as Membership__History.

I can find no such history tables for Account and Contact. Some standard objects have tables with names like CaseHistory, but not Account and Contact. I also don't see where it might be hiding within the objects themselves, but it's certainly possible that I've not used the right tool or query.

How can I get access to Account and Contact history?

Thanks,
Don
You can create a simple custom field to report the total amount your company has sold to an account:

Data Type                        Roll-Up Summary                         
Summary Type                SUM
Summarized Object        Opoortunity
Field to Aggregate           Opportunity: Amount
Filter Criteria                    Won equals True

This "Sales" field can then be displayed on accounts.

What I am looking to do is enable this to roll-up the hierarchy so if you have Account X with children (sub accounts) Y and Z you can see Y and Z's combined sales in the X account profile.

Any thoughts on how to do this with advanced formulas?

Best

So I've added weights for all of our products into salesforce.  For each product line item there is a Quantity, and custom field "Weight" (multiplies the # of an item by its single unit weight...to calculate total weight for the item) i.e.   (2)  Beds  x  (100)  = 200 for Weight of line item "Beds".   I would like to add a field under the Opportunities Page layout that would calculate the total weight for all items...this would save our sales staff a few steps when calculating ship quotes. 

I have tried to create a formula for this and am struggling to find one that will work.  Can anyone help?  How do I do this?
Hi, I have a validation rule in account which requires that for a customer type account, a "codename" is requried.

When i tried to change the opportunity stage to "closed not required", it gives an error that "a codename is required"....

This seems to be odd... updating the opportunity will trigger the validation rule in account???

• August 11, 2008
Hello,

I am new to SFDC an need a little help.

When an opportunity changes stages there's an option to automatically send out an approval e-mail using a pre-made template for  managerial purposes. My question is, is it possible to add the products, to the e-mail for approval, that are attached to that opportunity? This is necessary to do in order for managers to completely understand what products are associated with which opportunities. This automated process would relieve users from manually creating a mail-merge and uploading it to an e-mail, and so on so forth. Is this possible using apex, workflows, etc?

Any help would be great. Thank You.
So I just noticed that when you close an Opportunity in SFDC, the Close Date does not automatically update to the day that the closed stage was selected.  For some reason, I always thought (or assumed) that it did.  Does anyone use validation rules or workflow rules in any way to automatically set the close date to "today" when a Stage is changed from an open to a closed value?  I'd love to hear how you've done it if you have.

If the rep does not update Close Date, we can get deals falling in quarters where they do not belong and other messy data.
I am not finding Total Price available to me when I try to create a formula in a custom field. Anyone know why?
Background:
I have a custom checkbox field defined in both Products2 and Opp Prod.

Goal:
Each time a new Opp Prod line item is added to an Opp, automatically set the value of the Opp Prod line item custom field (Has_Maintenance_OP__c) with the corresponding Product custom field (Has_Maintenance__c).

Can someone walk me through the set-up for the Workflow Rule and Field Update to accomplish this (for a checkbox field).

Thanks in advance,
Dale
  • July 02, 2008
Long story shortened...

Our Opportunities are often shared sales with other reps. The Sales Team related list is nice to capture who they are, but that's all it can do. I need to capture not only who they are, but what percent of the sale they get credit for, what that equates to in terms of "volume credit", the commission amount paid to each, and the date paid.

The end product will simply be a report that shows the total dollars sold for each rep - which will sometimes include a partial credit sale. Example:

Jane Smith sold one Opp by herself, for $100 (is listed as the owner of the Opp)
John Doe sold one Opp by himself, for $200 (is listed as the owner of the Opp)
Jane and John cooperated on another Opp, for $100. Jane is the owner of the Opp, and for this sale, she should receive 75% credit, with John to get 25%

The report needs to show:

Jane Smith  $175
John Doe   $225

Sounds really simple, but is driving me up the wall.

I tried creating multiple fields on the Opportunity object, which worked just fine. The data entry would be easy, and the display of information very easy to understand. But then I can't report on it in a useful way, because I can't combine the Amount field with the two Shared Volume fields I created, and match up the rep at the same time. I think the right thing to do is to have a related list, similar to that Sales Team list, but with more fields.

I created a custom object - Shared_Sales, with a master-detail relationship to Opportunity. Then I created the fields for Rep, Percent Credit, Commission Paid, and Commission Date. But the "Volume Credit" field should be a calculation of the Opportunity Amount times the Percent Credit (my custom field in the custom object). I can't seem to make the formula "reach back" to the Opportunity record to capture the Amount.

I made an S-Control which can do it, but I can't make that S Control show up in the related list on the Opportunity page. Having just the name and percent is good, but they're going to want to see the exact $ volume that they'll receive credit for.

That's not even to mention the problem of trying to figure out how to populate the related list with a default record if there are no additional reps. (i.e. - the Owner needs to get 100% credit if there is no one else involved, so I can report on the "Volume Credit" field as a whole).

If I'm totally barking up the wrong tree, please tell me! This seems like such a simple function, and management is absolutely adamant that we *must* be able to do this. I've already spent 2 days on this, and I'm no closer to a solution than when I started.

HELP!
In looking through the field history tracking notes, this isn't something available on Opportunities, but I have 3 date fields that I need to track...and ideally prompt someone when they change those values.

Any ideas?
I have to do a lot of work with Salesforce data in Excel which is case-sensitivity challenged. I understand how to derive the 18 character ID from a 15 character ID, but I can't do that for hundreds or thousands of records one-by-one. I saw some posting about a plugin for Excel in the subject title which discussed a function called "GetID18". I thought the posting implied that this was an Excel plugin, but I can't find anything else about it.

Is this part of the Excel Connector? Where do I get the Excel Connector- it's not listed on the App Exchange. IS there is ANY kind of solution for this problem available anywhere? Please, somebody, let me know.

VeMan 
I'm wondering if someone can help me determine if this is possible, and if so, how to achieve it.

I want to write a validation rule that will disable a salesperson's ability to edit that opportunity once they've saved it with a stage of "closed". Can this be done? I can restrict access on an individual field level but I'm not seeing how to prevent them from making any edits whatsoever to a closed opportunity.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
  • March 18, 2008
The concept of selling 'x amount of widgets' doesn't apply to our business so the Quantity field on the opportunity product layout is a bit irrelavant. The Quanity field is always one (1) - every single time a product is added to an Opportunity record.

Knowing the above, is there a way to default the Quanity field on the opportunity product layout always to one (1)? Any ideas?

Thanks.

I've turned on field history for selected fields in the Account and Contact objects, as well as in a couple of custom objects.

Now I need to access the history from an external application. Custom objects are easy (and slick): just read and process the contents of the object's history table, such as Membership__History.

I can find no such history tables for Account and Contact. Some standard objects have tables with names like CaseHistory, but not Account and Contact. I also don't see where it might be hiding within the objects themselves, but it's certainly possible that I've not used the right tool or query.

How can I get access to Account and Contact history?

Thanks,
Don
I'm trying to show a table in a dashboard that lists sales people and their expected revenue for the current quarter. Seems simple, right? Can do it without issue for total opportunity amount, but cannot for expected revenue. I have removed amount from my report, but it still does not work. Instead, I get a table that lists the "record count" for each sales person. Strangely enough, the chart works fine on the report, but when I try to put it into the dashboard, it does not .

Any ideas?