• 35 Points
  • Member since 2006

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Where do I download Excel Connector?  I went to appexchange and typed "Excel Connector" into the search and only 2 apps came up (neither of which was it).  Can someone give me the easy way to find it?  Add commentary on how you like it if you want to.  Thanks for all replies.
  • February 14, 2007

Hello, I am trying to build a simple proof of concept whereby a hyperlink on an in-line visualforace page on the Task creates a new Opportunity when clicked.

I have what I think should be workable code. However, the inline visual force page that I want to show up on the task is displaying "Content cannot be displayed: DML currently not allowed".

What I would expect to be displayed is a hyperlink on the text "Create New Opp".

This is my visualforce page code:

<apex:page standardController="Task" extensions="OppClass">
  <!-- Begin Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
  <h1>Q1 2011 Upsell</h1>
Create new opportunity with this campaign:
<!-- My Stufff -->
    <apex:form >
    <apex:commandLink action="!Ops" value="Create New Opp" id="comlink1"/>
    </apex:form>
<!-- END MY STUFF-->
  <!-- End Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
</apex:page>

My apex code is this (intended to execute when one clicks on the above link):

public without sharing class OppClass
{

public OppClass(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
    NewOpp();
    }

public void NewOpp(){
        Opportunity o = new Opportunity(name = 'Acme');
        Database.SaveResult[] lsr = Database.insert(new Opportunity[]{o, new Opportunity(name = 'Acme')},false);
    }
}

This is intended to be a simplified proof of concept, but I can't see where I am failing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could it be permission settings somewhere in my developer environment? 

Thanks,

IW

• January 24, 2011

{reposted from general forum}

Hi all - hoping there are some really  smart people out there that can help me vet an idea. :smileywink:

I'd like to have a clickable URL link in generated Tasks that allow a sales rep to click the link which will create an Opportunity with the Primary Campaign Source field pre-filled with a specified value.

I was thinking that the new REST API might be able to do this, but I wanted to see if the community has done this before?

The problem we are attempting to solve is taking the burden off Sales reps for attaching certain opportunities to specific campaigns.

For reasons I won't get in to, using the contact's previous campaign (default behavior) isn't sufficient.

Thanks all!

Best,

IW

• January 05, 2011

Hi all - hoping there are some really  smart people out there that can help me vet an idea. :smileywink:

I'd like to have a clickable URL link in generated Tasks that allow a sales rep to click the link which will create an Opportunity with the Primary Campaign Source field pre-filled with a specified value.

I was thinking that the new REST API might be able to do this, but I wanted to see if the community has done this before?

The problem we are attempting to solve is taking the burden off Sales reps for attaching certain opportunities to specific campaigns.

For reasons I won't get in to, using the contact's previous campaign (default behavior) isn't sufficient.

Thanks all!

Best,

IW

• January 05, 2011

Hi -

I need an app to validate our partner's spreadsheet data against our Salesforce.com Lead object (make sure picklist values match, field length is enforced, etc).

Is there an app out there that does this?

What challenges would I face in building one? (.NET)

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is there an app already out there? Does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Thanks

IW

• August 03, 2010

Hi -

I am thinking of developing an app (desktop client, or excel VBA, or web-based) to validate the field constrains for values in a spreadsheet or csv.

This will allow our partners to put together a set of data, format, and validate their formatting before sending to us for insertion into Salesforce.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Is there an app already out there? Does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Thanks

IW

Hey all,

The problem I'm facing is that an api query is timing out when all I want to do is count the number of records on the object. eg:

SELECT count() FROM contact Where email != ''

Purpose of the query is to count the number of rows on the contact object (with an email addy) in order to compare against a replicated set of records. We want to measure the % sync between SF and another system.

Any ideas of:

1) A method to prevent query timeout?

2) A method to count the # of records on the object without the query?

3) A work-around (creative suggestions on splitting the query up into smaller chunks?)

Thanks,

IW

Hey all, I am using Visual Studio 2008 and working in .NET 3.5.

I'm relatively new to programming, so I don't have a lot of background, but I am hoping someone can explain how to take the Values from the QueryResult object and get them into a datatable.

I've examined the sforce explorer, and the apex explorer(virtually identical), and they use some sort of XML serialization that I am not familar with.

Is there another way to fill the datatable with the object's values?

I will primarily be working with the Lead object.

Thanks,

IW

Hey everyone,

I have a utility that I use to update the 'OwnerId' field on the Lead Object, but I want to make it flexible enough to handle all sorts of salesforce objects.

How can I repalce the "sf.Lead" in the foreach statement to match the object type of the "sfobjects" array?

sf.sObject[] sfobjects = binding.retrieve("ID, OwnerId", objecttype, objectids); foreach (sf.Lead sfobject in sfobjects) //need to change this to any object type { sfobject.OwnerId = "005000000071z0V"; binding.update(new sObject[] { sfobject }); }

Thanks,

Isaac

• March 05, 2009

Hey folks, I'm looping through a field array, checking to see if each and every field has a name property equal to "OwnerId" in order to answer the question "Does the object have an OwnerID"?

I want to optimize (less code, more efficient) this code a little bit. Do you have any suggestions?

the object "describeobject" in the first line is a DescribeSObjectResult.

sf.Field[] objectfields = describeobject.fields;

bool hasownerfield = false;
foreach (sf.Field objectfield in objectfields)
{
if (objectfield.name == "OwnerId")
{
hasownerfield = true;
}
}

Many thanks,

Isaac

• March 05, 2009
I am dealing with a certain number of Lead Alerts, and it would be helpful if these were formatted in CSV or XLS so that the data is easier to manage.

I was wondering if anyone in the community had an existing solution in VBA or any other type of solution to handle these Lead Alerts?

thanks!

IW
For those of us frequently using the Excel Connector and are looking for more features and support, there is a concept on the IdeaExchange that is being voted on:

I would recommend going there and upvoting the idea and posting a comment to show your support.

IW

• April 17, 2008
Hey Excel Connector Peoples,

Can someone tell me how I can have the Excel Connector update a salesforce field (such as "Actual Cost") to be blank instead of "$0".

When I attempt to update the cell with a space, I get an error, and if I merely update a cell with the contents deleted, it ends up getting updated as "$0".

Since I know that I can update the records with these field values to be blank from within Salesforce, I know that it must be possible. I just can't manage to make the Excel Connector do it.

Other things that I have tried:

-Updating with "" in the cell, which yields a data type mismatch error
-Change the cell format from currency to "general" and to "text" which still yields no positive result
-Updating with "(null)" in the cell which yields a type mismatch

Thanks!

IW
  • February 15, 2007

Hello, I am trying to build a simple proof of concept whereby a hyperlink on an in-line visualforace page on the Task creates a new Opportunity when clicked.

I have what I think should be workable code. However, the inline visual force page that I want to show up on the task is displaying "Content cannot be displayed: DML currently not allowed".

What I would expect to be displayed is a hyperlink on the text "Create New Opp".

This is my visualforce page code:

<apex:page standardController="Task" extensions="OppClass">
  <!-- Begin Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
  <h1>Q1 2011 Upsell</h1>
Create new opportunity with this campaign:
<!-- My Stufff -->
    <apex:form >
    <apex:commandLink action="!Ops" value="Create New Opp" id="comlink1"/>
    </apex:form>
<!-- END MY STUFF-->
  <!-- End Default Content REMOVE THIS -->
</apex:page>

My apex code is this (intended to execute when one clicks on the above link):

public without sharing class OppClass
{

public OppClass(ApexPages.StandardController controller) {
    NewOpp();
    }

public void NewOpp(){
        Opportunity o = new Opportunity(name = 'Acme');
        Database.SaveResult[] lsr = Database.insert(new Opportunity[]{o, new Opportunity(name = 'Acme')},false);
    }
}

This is intended to be a simplified proof of concept, but I can't see where I am failing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Could it be permission settings somewhere in my developer environment? 

Thanks,

IW

• January 24, 2011

Hi all - hoping there are some really  smart people out there that can help me vet an idea. :smileywink:

Thanks all!

Best,

IW

• January 05, 2011

Hey all, I am using Visual Studio 2008 and working in .NET 3.5.

I'm relatively new to programming, so I don't have a lot of background, but I am hoping someone can explain how to take the Values from the QueryResult object and get them into a datatable.

I've examined the sforce explorer, and the apex explorer(virtually identical), and they use some sort of XML serialization that I am not familar with.

Is there another way to fill the datatable with the object's values?

I will primarily be working with the Lead object.

Thanks,

IW

I am dealing with a certain number of Lead Alerts, and it would be helpful if these were formatted in CSV or XLS so that the data is easier to manage.

I was wondering if anyone in the community had an existing solution in VBA or any other type of solution to handle these Lead Alerts?

thanks!

IW
This is driving me crazy! I have come to the Excel Connector because I needed a bi-directional data tool so I can correct some text errors in the lead source fields of converted leads. I understand that Data Loader is available in EE but I have PE so I thought this would be the answer. However, when I attempted to edit the data I get an error message that says, "Update Row Failed: cannot reference converted lead."

Am I correctly understanding that the Excel Connector will update any data in SF except data in a converted lead???????? Why is this data so guarded that it appears to be impossible to edit any textual info that has no formulas or logic running against it? I have some lead sources from previous months that are incorrect and they skew my report and require me to manually correct them every time.; Simple things like a lead source of "ASP 2008" should be "ASP 0208". I don't want to delete the converted lead and then convert a corrected lead because it will throw off the date of the conversion and break the connection with the existing opportunity. There must be a way? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message Edited by DalStar1999 on 07-25-2008 02:32 PM

Message Edited by DalStar1999 on 07-25-2008 02:34 PM

Message Edited by DalStar1999 on 07-25-2008 02:50 PM
hey, i have a excel file with the account name and account ID number from salesforce. im trying to get the accounts phone number (company phone #) into the fine for 200 names. is there a way i can do some search or function which enables me to do this quickly instead of just looking up every account and copy & paste
Hello

Using Excel Connector I have downloaded custom reports. I modify data into the report and want the changes to take effect into SFDC. Each time I do a refresh the modified info is replace by the one into SF...
How can I change this. What am I doing wrong?

Stan
  • April 17, 2008
I get a message reading:

id from RevenueForecast where StartDate > 2007-12-31T00:00:00.000Z
value of filter criterion for field 'StartDate' must be of type date and should not be enclosed in quotes

This used to work!

• January 23, 2008
Our Campaign object has a custom field Campaign_Master__c (containing a Campaign ID, the "parent" campaign basically), and this field is not available in the query!  Does anyone know why, or have experience with other fields missing?

Our Lead object is full of custom fields and at a glance, most of them are there but I notice one in particular that is missing.  Like Campaign Master it contains a Campaign ID, and in Salesforce this shows up as a link. 

I have found a few others and so far they are all custom lookup fields.  Is this as far as I get with the Excel Connector?  Is it because it can't do the lookup?  I notice it tries to lookup Owner ID's which gets it in trouble because it lists actual NAMES under Owner ID, then leaves others as ID's. 

Missing fields anyone?  Workarounds?
Thanks
Josh

Please can someone tell me where to find a reference guide for SOQL.  I've done various searches but can't find a definitive reference, it seems assumed that you know it and it is referred to, but not explained/defined. I'm sure there must be something but my searches bring up loads of unhelpful results.
Many thanks,
Erica
  • August 01, 2007
I'm using the Excel connector to update pricing in the PricebookEntry table. Our org has extended the available decimal places for pricing to 8 because we do fractional pricing. That means we can have prices that look like 0.125, 0.375, 0.32845678, and so on. If I enter these prices through the UI, no problem and they are correct. If I use the connector, it truncates them to 2 decimal places only.

I made sure the Excel column is formatted to show 8 places and the prices are correct in the cells. I update the cells and use Update Selected Cells, and the result in salesforce is 0.12, 0.37, 0.32.

It doesn't seem to matter if the column is formatted for numbers or currency.

[edit] I just tried the same update with the data loader and it worked fine, so the problem is definitely with the connector.

[edit2] I also tried using the connector with a custom currency field on the Product2 record and it successfully maintained the 3-decimal value. So the problem looks like it's specifically with the PricebookEntry UnitPrice and not other custom fields.

Mark

Message Edited by MarkL on 02-23-2007 09:31 AM

Message Edited by MarkL on 02-23-2007 09:54 AM

Where do I download Excel Connector?  I went to appexchange and typed "Excel Connector" into the search and only 2 apps came up (neither of which was it).  Can someone give me the easy way to find it?  Add commentary on how you like it if you want to.  Thanks for all replies.
  • February 14, 2007
I am trying to run various reports that would get the OpportunityLineItem with the Product name.  But the Product ID in the OpportunityLineItem table doesn't correspond to the Product ID in the Product2 table.

How can I join OpportunityLineItems with Product2?  Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
  • December 05, 2006
Hi--

Can someone explain to me why, when I use the IN join, I am getting an "Unexpected Token: Id" error?

It doesn't always happen, which makes it difficult to tell why it does.  Just now, I ran a query to pull a set of Contacts with the Account ID in column E.  Next, I wanted to pull some Account information for Accounts in the previous query.  A perfect time for "IN," right? 

But when I structured the query to find "Account ID IN E:E," I get an error message that says in full:

Salesforce: Query()
invalid Range, missing data type, or other error,
type is: Account

select id from Account where ID in 'E:E'
                             ^
Error at Row:1:Column:31
Unexpected token: Id

(And to make things more confusing for me, there is nothing in Column 31.)

Help?

Thanks,
Dan
  • October 24, 2006
I had reinstalled sforce and found the problem that it was looking at the old spot where sforce connector was located. It irked me that the fix for the problem was inadequate. Here's the steps that worked for me.

1. Open up excel
2. RIGHT click the area where the sforce connector button would usually lie.
    A dropdown menu should appear with the last option being "Customize"
3. Click on "Customize"
4. The Customize window should appear. Scroll down to the bottom until you see sforce Connector.
5. LEFT click to highlight the sforce Connector, and click delete.
6. When it asks if you are sure you want to delete it, click Yes.
7. Click Close
8. You are back to where you started. Click Tools
9. Click Add-Ins
10.  Click browse and select the sforce_connect_for_.xla
11. It will say the file already appears, do you want to replace? Click yes.

Finally!
If you don't see the sforce connector button, Right click the area where the sforce connect button would usually lie, and make sure there's a checkmark next to the sforce Connector in the drop down menu (where you saw Customize before)

That should work.