• Member since 2007

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi,

One of the business requirements when merging accounts of different record types is to make sure that a certain record type remains the active record. 

Ex.  Account 1 has rec type 1
       Account 2 has rec type 2

The requirement is to make sure that account 2 will remain active after the merge.  We can not enforce this rule in salesforce in case the user makes a mistake and choose account 1 as the master record.

What we did is to correct the merge outside salesforce and update account 1 with the attributes of account 2.  The problem is one of the custom fields in the account object is defined as unique and I get a duplicate value error when doing the update.  

Here are my options:
1.  Is there a way to trigger a physical delete of  the logically deleted record so I won't get the duplicate value error?  I tried to clear the recycle bin but the logically deleted record is still in the table.

2.  Can we limit validation for uniqueness to active records only?  What's an efficient way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • October 02, 2007

When a contact gets deleted after a merge, is there a way of knowing the contact SF ID that it got merged to?  I'm extracting data from SF the Data Warehouse and need to logically delete the duplicate contact.  I also need to mimic the merge on data that is not coming from SF --> i.e., all child records of the duplicate contact should be updated to point to the merged contact.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

• June 26, 2007
Hi,

One of the business requirements when merging accounts of different record types is to make sure that a certain record type remains the active record. 

Ex.  Account 1 has rec type 1
       Account 2 has rec type 2

The requirement is to make sure that account 2 will remain active after the merge.  We can not enforce this rule in salesforce in case the user makes a mistake and choose account 1 as the master record.

What we did is to correct the merge outside salesforce and update account 1 with the attributes of account 2.  The problem is one of the custom fields in the account object is defined as unique and I get a duplicate value error when doing the update.  

Here are my options:
1.  Is there a way to trigger a physical delete of  the logically deleted record so I won't get the duplicate value error?  I tried to clear the recycle bin but the logically deleted record is still in the table.

2.  Can we limit validation for uniqueness to active records only?  What's an efficient way of doing this?

Thanks in advance for any input.
  • October 02, 2007