• Senior Director, Platform Documentation and User Assistance
  • Salesforce

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I have very little background in programming and therefore find the tutorials and documentation available from force.com completely inadequate for my Apex learning needs.

It is clearly written for those that have a bit of programming knowledge.  I am looking for a step by step "Apex for dummies", or something that can walk me through all of the available components one by one.  I find all the documentation on methods and variables interesting, but I don't know what apex:actionsupport is, or what apex:outputlink is, etc...  AndI have not found anything that lists them one by one with examples, perhaps I have not looking in the right place...

In searching, there are a number of books for Apex in relation to Oracle.  Is this the same thing?  Can I use one of those books?

Thanks

I have an Apex class that I want to call from a button.  But I can't figure out how to call it from a button.
Note: I have tested this code inside a trigger and it works fine.

My button code is just (obviously this is wrong):
sforce.apex.execute("MyHelloWorld","doKPI", {});

The class code:
global class MyHelloWorld {

WebService static void doKPI() {

INTEGER NUM = 10;

KPI__c[] tblkpi;

tblkpi = new KPI__c[NUM];

for (integer i = 0; i < NUM; i++) {
      tblkpi[i] = new KPI__c(UserName__c='user '+i, Signed_Contracts__c = i);
    }
    insert tblkpi;
  }
}

These links have dissapeared overnight....
I cannot find any new links, only PDF downloads.

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/apexcode/

http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/pages/index.htm

Does anyone else use the HTML Guides?
Or do you use the PDF Downloadable Guides?
If you use the PDF guides, why do you prefer them?
I have preferred the HTML due to the search returning more relevant results. But maybe I could use the PDF search better?

I have very little background in programming and therefore find the tutorials and documentation available from force.com completely inadequate for my Apex learning needs.

It is clearly written for those that have a bit of programming knowledge.  I am looking for a step by step "Apex for dummies", or something that can walk me through all of the available components one by one.  I find all the documentation on methods and variables interesting, but I don't know what apex:actionsupport is, or what apex:outputlink is, etc...  AndI have not found anything that lists them one by one with examples, perhaps I have not looking in the right place...

In searching, there are a number of books for Apex in relation to Oracle.  Is this the same thing?  Can I use one of those books?

Thanks

I am a newbie, so forgive me if this question has an obvious answer.

How do I display several custom fields I have in the Contacts table on my Cases page layout? 

I want our support reps to see several rollup fields we populate when we update the Contacts table each week from our order system - these fields show customer recency, frequency and monetary value so our folks know who to pay a LOT of attention to.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks, Jay
  • March 10, 2008
I tryed Visualforce Quick Start Tutorial, but it was not work on section "Displaying Field Values on a Page".
<apex: page standardController="Account">
    Hello {!$User.FirstName}!
    <p>You are viewing the {!account.name} account.</p>
</apex: page>
I could not get result page from below URL access.
https://na5.salesforce.com/apex/HelloWorld?id=00570000001EOx5
I got "00570000001EOx5" from URL of my personal information page as described Tutorial, but error occured.

How can I solve this problem ?

Thanks,
Kazumi
  • March 06, 2008
I work for a small ISV that's considering the Force platform, and I think I know the answer to my question, but I wanted to be sure. Is it possible to share data between organizations? IE, if Company A and Company B are using our app, can Force be set up so that they can see each other's data? My reading of the documentation says no, but maybe I'm missing something.
How to display  set of fields only when  a condition is met?  Example if Type = incoming call then I want to display certain set of fields.  we do have FD but  the user don't want to see the fields that are not relevent to the Type selection.

Can anyone suggest a way to access the new Personal Tags programmatically?  I'd like to access the Tags my users have set against their Contacts, for example.  I don't see anything in the API about this... thanks!
I want to update a record and set the value of a custom DateTime field to the current date and time (SFDC system date and time).  So the equivalent of updating a field in Oracle and passing "now()" as the value.  Is there a one-step way to do this?  Or do I have to query the timestamp and the put it into the record that I'm updating?

Thanks
Chris
  • November 19, 2007
Hi,

I wanted to know the following about public groups:

In a public group, what access rights do the members have on each other records, if the organization wide default for the object is private?

Help on this will be highly appeciated. If someone can tell if there is some documentation around public group members access rights in Salesforce, it will be great.

Thanks,
ST
  • November 18, 2007
Hello all,

When can we expect to see triggers in the enterprise edition of salesforce?

Why would the developer edition of salesforce have them and not the enterprise edition? Wouldn't the purpose of having triggers in the developer edition be to develop apps that could later on be moved to an enterprise or some other edition?

Thanks
I have a need to rollup data from one custom object (timesheet) to multiple master objects. I already have a Master-Detail with one custom object (Delivery Project) but need to achieve the same rollup summary information to other custom objects (e.g. Resources, Timesheet Header etc.). I know that this is not possible through the main application front end as you can only have one Master-Detail relationship but it should be possibe using S-Controls or Apex code. Has anyone had experience of doing this and can point me in the right direction? This is my first post so please be gentle! Regards, Gordon Anderson
I have an Apex class that I want to call from a button.  But I can't figure out how to call it from a button.
Note: I have tested this code inside a trigger and it works fine.

My button code is just (obviously this is wrong):
sforce.apex.execute("MyHelloWorld","doKPI", {});

The class code:
global class MyHelloWorld {

WebService static void doKPI() {

INTEGER NUM = 10;

KPI__c[] tblkpi;

tblkpi = new KPI__c[NUM];

for (integer i = 0; i < NUM; i++) {
      tblkpi[i] = new KPI__c(UserName__c='user '+i, Signed_Contracts__c = i);
    }
    insert tblkpi;
  }
}
I recently asked here about the ability to share campaigns and been told the campaign sharing will only be available in winter 08 edition.

I wanted to know if there is another way to limit a user in a way that he would only be able to edit the campaigns he created. I don't care if he can see the campaigns of other users, I just don't want him to able to edit them.  Is it possible?

Thanks
Eyal
does anyone know where to find description of the following standard objects, which are not described in the apex documentation: http://www.salesforce.com/us/developer/docs/api/Content/sforce_api_objects_list.htm?
  • ApexClass
  • ApexTrigger
  • Calendar
  • EmailRoutingAddress
  • EventAttendee
  • ExternalString
  • ExternalStringLocalization
  • LocalizedValue
  • LoginHours
  • LoginIpRange
  • Mactive_Contracts__History
  • OutboundField
  • PricebookShare
  • Stanford_GSB_Object__History
  • Translation
  • TranslationUser
  • sf62_tom__Holiday_Calendar__History
  • sf62_tom__Pay_Cycle__History
  • sf62_tom__Payroll_System__History
  • sf62_tom__Requested_Day__History
  • sf62_tom__Time_Off_Info__History
  • sf62_tom__Time_Off_Info__Share
  • sf62_tom__Time_Off_Request__History
  • sf62_tom__Time_Off_Request__Share
i use salesforce.com's partner api, version 10, to retrieve all objects in my organization, and then i filter out the ones with 'custom' and 'queryable' attributes set to false.

thanks.
Here is what I am trying to do...

I am trying to create a custom button on my Contact page that will edit the record, check a field (Checkbox field called "Call Started") and then save the record.   Is what I am trying to do possible?  Thanks for any help anyone can be...

• October 31, 2007
I could use some help figuring out how to develop a custom button.  We have the following Custom Objects: Marketing Campaign (very simple start / stop dates with description) and Event Attendees (which links a contact with a campaign and has checkboxes for RSVP, Confirmation, Attended).  We use this quite abit for Relating action items, email etc to campaigns.

We'd like to expand on this with a custom button(s) from Contact Lists to select multiple contacts from a list and then add to a campaign.  Preferably it will take user to a window to select from a campaign drop-down (similar to the way Change Lead Status works).

Can anyone help me get started?
  • October 25, 2007
Hello-
I am working through the visual force tutorials and want to create a static resource. The winter 08 release notes say that is it available as preview in developers account; however, when I go setup->build->
there is no option for static resources. I think visualforce is enabled because I can create pages.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Katrina
  • October 25, 2007
In my custom object, when I search for items that were selected from a picklist, they do not show up in my search results? Any ideas? Little help? Please?