• 0 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
I am trying to self teach myself formulas and one basic question is why do the ( ) have to be placed in weird spots when writing a formula, can anyone explain the rule or reason of where/when they are placed? I am good at copying or borrowing formulas but I actually want to learn how to write them and the logic. Anyone know of any good training or offer training? 
When loading data via data loader into fields that are picklist fields I want records to be rejected if they don't match items from the Pick List for that field. This would help data quality on data loads. If this can be done, I assume it would be via Data Validation rules, but I cannot find any answers as to how it can be achieved. Rather than key in the values manually within the validation rule, it would be desrable for the rule to dynamically lookup up the picklist items - so that the rule wouldn't have to be amended every time a new picklist item was added for the relevant field.
Hi

I'm trying to create a formula for below, but can't seem to get it working..
Any help is appreciated!

Owner role = Asia Sales; assign Region field to Asia

Owner role = ANZ Sales; assign Region field to ANZ
Owner role = ANZ Managing Director, assign Region field to ANZ

Owner role = China Sales; assign Region field to China
Owner role = China Sales Management; assign Region field to China
Owner role = China Managing Director, assign Region field to China

Owner role = Japan Sales; assign Region field to Japan
Owner role = Japan Sales Management; assign Region field to Japan
Owner role = Japan Managing Director, assign Region field to Japan

Thanks, Judy
  • September 15, 2008
Thanks for help in advance!!

I have two fields on a custom object, startDate, endDate which a user inputs.

i.e. startDate: 3/24/2008  9:05 a.m.  endDate 3/26/2008 9:05 a.m.

notice that the start date is less than the end date but the times are equal, bad user..  This information is used to create multiple events for each day.. My users are having a hard time getting the timespan concept, and seem to keep doing this.

So how can i validate this to prevent this problem..

the simple

IF(Date_Start_Time__c >= Date_End_Time__c , true, false)

will not cut it here.. with the multiday issue.. I do not see anything in the validation that applies to time??

Thanks Again!!

Message Edited by Benjamin_Pirih on 03-20-2008 08:53 AM
I have a very basic custom object in which I need to prevent duplicates(exact match).  I cannot just use a "unique" value though, because in certain circumstances duplicates should be allowed.  What I want to do is create a validation rule where if an "override" box is checked the rule will allow duplicates, but otherwise it won't.  Can someone please help me with the code?

Initially I tried:

REGEX ( field , field)  The only problem is that it checks itself and thinks every entry is a duplicate.

Please help!
We are looking to employ a freelance on-site SFDC trainer for a 3-month period. We are based in Kensington Village business park, West Kensington, London. We operate a network of job boards including planetrecruit.com, workthing.com and totallyfinancial.com and are rolling out a customised SFDC service as part of a new ERP solution. A sales floor of over 50+ executives will need training in general SFDC functionality as well as pipeline and quotation management. Training requirements to be discussed but one-on-one and 'walking-the-floor' will be integral elements of the training programme. There would be an opportunity to learn the BigMachines Product Configurator - a SFDC plug-in. Free on-site gym.
I have two profiles for our sales users - a "Senior Account Executive" that needs (and has) r/w access to all opportunities.  The users assigned to the other profile, "Account Executive"  need to be able to see all accounts, but should not create opportunities on accounts they do not own.  The only way I can think to prevent this is to put in a validation rule to check account ownership and error on any attempts to create the opp.  Every attempt I have made at this gives me a syntax error.  I know this should be a very basic rule - but I can't seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions?
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to create a roll up summary field that can appear in the search view of how many contacts an account has.  Our data quality is lacking right now and while its being fixed I'm trying to find a way to help people know which account to use.  I have gotten feedback on using account teams (we already use this), but if they dont know which account to add themselves to, then it doesn't really work.

What we thought we could do is create a roll up summary betwen accounts and contacts and tell them to choose the account that has the most contacts and that will become the surviving account during the merge.

I can't seem to figure out how to create this roll up summary since it doesn't seem to be out of the box, anyone have any suggestions or a starting point for me?

Thanks,

Cheryl

Hi,

I have a custom object A, which has a lookup relationship to itself.

I want to write a validation rule that prevents the connection of one instance
of A to another instance of A if they have the same name.

The problem I'm having is that it doesn't seem possible to write a
validation rule expression that navigates across the relationship to get
the name of the other instance of A.

However, it does seem to be possible to navigate across relationships
between different custom objects, e.g. A related to B

Is this a known limitation of validation rules, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Andy