• 0 Points
  • Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
It seems from my reading that Salesforce supports a delegated authentication model where the user types login/passwd into Salesforce and Saleforce passes the info to us for authentication.  Unfortunately our Shibboleth system requires that Salesforce bounce the user to our login page and we take the login/passwd from them, then redirect back to Salesforce once successfully logged in.  For security we don't want anyone else handling the password.  Is our way of doing it possible with Salesforce?

Message Edited by WesGray on 08-05-2008 09:00 AM
We would like develop a recruiting app on Force.com and use the Customer Portal to allow people to submit applications.  But, we don't want to have to create a login/password for people just so they can submit an application.  Is this possible for people to use the Customer Portal without having a login?  If so how do you do this?
Is it possible to replace the user interface for the Customer Portal with Visual Force pages?  If so where do you set it?
I'm sure there is a simple answer but I haven't been able to find it yet.  I have a custom object Employee which I have made a tab on my app.  I have a custom controller for the object, so in the VF page I have <apex:page Controller="EmployeeController">.  I want my VF page to display under the Employee tab and instead it displays under the Home tab.  How can I fix this?
Is anyone using crystalreports.com for Salesforce?  I've been testing out a demo of it and it doesn't seem to be working too well.  I can't, for example, get a report to prompt me for select arguments.  The report does this fine in the desktop client, but not from within Salesforce.
I am trying to make an S-control which displays a list of rows and lets the user click on a row to view the detail page.   Creating the link for them to click on has proved tricky because using URLFOR only seems to work if the current S-control was passed in a "current" Id.  I have managed to work around this by passing the Id to a second S-control and having that S-control do the URLFOR and immediately refresh to the desired detail page.  That is a pretty ugly hack though and I am sure hoping someone has a better solution!

To clarify what I am saying, here is the hack:

S-control 1:
    output += "<td class='dataCol col02'>" +
                    "<a href='" + "{!URLFOR($SControl.Employee_View)}" +
                    "&eid=" + EmployeeRow.Id + "'>" + EmployeeRow.Name + "</a></td>";

S-control Employee_View:

<html>
<head>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
function initPage()
{
    window.parent.window.location="{!URLFOR($Action.DDEmployee__c.View, DDEmployee__c.Id)}";
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="initPage();">
</body>
</html>
I am trying to have the user input a few values in an S-Control, and then have those values passed to another S-Control for processing.  I am able to use URLFOR to go from one S-Control to another, but it doesn't seem to work when used from a form submit button.  For example, the following works:

<a href="{!URLFOR($SControl.Employee_Finder_Results)}">test</a>

but this doesn't:

<form name="input" action="{!URLFOR($SControl.Employee_Finder_Results)}" method="get">
Name:
<input type="text" name="user">
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Is there some other recommended way to take user input?  The parameter passing example in the Cookbook assume that you already know what the parameters you want to pass are.
I have a custom object with many fields.  I need to make a second custom object which is almost identical.  Is there some easy way to do this so that I don't have to use the web interface to add each field manually?
I have been reviewing the Sandbox, Apex Deployment Tool, and the package management options, and I would appreciate if someone could help me better understand how one uses these tools to develop, test, and release customizations into production.  Is the usual practice to do development in the Sandbox?  If so, do you use the Ant-based Apex Deployment Tool to copy your changes from the Sandbox to the production environment?  For this to work correctly do you need to package your application?  Do you need to use a managed package?
I have 2 SFDC developer accounts with a custom app developed in one.  I was able to pack the app up and install it under the other account.  I would now like to copy the data to the new instance also.  Can anyone suggest a good way to do this?  I tried using Apex Data Loader, but the references between the tables get lost in the process.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Message Edited by WesGray on 05-19-2008 05:00 PM
I notice that the self service portal users don't get assigned a role or profile.  What data do they have permission to access?  Only that which is accessible by everyone?
I see that you can attach a file to a case.  Is it possible to get this functionality for a custom object?
I am writing an s-control which needs to use a merge field to get the Id of the current record so that child records can be retrieved and displayed.  I am using the merge field {!DDEmployee__c.Id} and for some strange reason the Id that is returned is truncated to 15 characters, so I'm getting "a05700000025Clo" instead of "a05700000025CloAAE".  In searching through the discussion board archive I found mention of this truncation problem related to SOA and a solution of setting a useCaseSafeIds option, but I have no idea how that solution relates to my problem, or if it is related.
I have been playing around with creating approval processes and I can make it so that when one user submits a new record for approval another user gets an email.  I was thinking there would be a way to cause the user whose approval is needed to get an item added to their "My Tasks" lists on their home tab, but I can't figure out how to do this?  Is there a way?  If not, is there any other way to get pending approvals to show up on the home tab?  I was able to create a report to find unapproved records and put it on a dashboard, but I'm hoping there is a simpler way.  Thanks!
I have a custom object Employee which has a First Name field and a Last Name field.  I would like the "Record Name" displayed to the user everywhere for this object to be the concatenation of the First Name and Last Name field.  However, when the user enters a new Employee they should type First Name as one field and Last Name as another.  It seems to me that when I create a custom object the field name I give for the Record Name is the field that displays everywhere, but I don't see any way to make it a computed field. Is it possible to do this with a custom object? The build-in object Contact works this way, so I'm thinking there must be a way to do it.
I need to set up permissions such that for a given user, certain fields in a object are not visible unless that object row was created by the user's department.  For example, Sue in HR needs to be able to view all Employee records, but the Employee address should only be visible if someone in HR entered the Employee record.  I'm confused as to how to do this in Salesforce because the field level secutiry settings are done with a profile and the row level settings are done with a role, and my requirement is a little of both.  Thanks for any help.
How do you change the layout of the screen you get when you click "New" on a custom object list?
I am new to writing s-controls, and I have one which displays a value on the detail tab of an object row.   I would like to give the value a label and have it look just like any of the other values on the detail layout, but so far no luck.  I can get the fonts to match, but the field doesn't line up in the table with the other values.  Also my s-control seems to take up a lot of vertical space, pushing everything below it way down the page for no apparent reason. No doubt this is pretty simple stuff I'm asking, but I haven't found the answer anywhere.  There must be an example somewhere.  In case it makes it clearer, here is my code thus far.  Thanks!

<html>
<script language="javascript"  src="/soap/ajax/8.0/connection.js">
    type="text/javascript"></script>
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
var conn;
function jsmain() {
    conn = sforce.connection;
    var EmployeeId = "{!Employee__c.SupervisorId__c}";
    var queryResult = conn.query("select Name, Phone_Number__c from Employee__c where Id = '" + EmployeeId + "'");
    if (queryResult.size > 0) {
        var records = queryResult.getArray('records');
        document.getElementById("PutDataHere").innerHTML = "Supervisor Phone: " + records[0].Phone_Number__c;
    }
}
</script>
<body onload="jsmain();">
<p id="PutDataHere" style="font-family: 'Arial','Helvetica',sans-serif; font-size: 75%">
</p>
</body>
</html>
I am trying to do something which seems very simple, yet I can't figure it out.

I have one custom table, Employee, with a key of Employee ID (autonumber).  The Employee table has a field Supervisor which is a lookup field back to Employee.  So one Employee can have a link to another Employee who is their supervisor.  Now, when I am looking at an Employee record I don't want to see that their Supervisor is 00000001, I want to see the Employee.Name field of their supervisor.  I tried using a formula field with a merge field in it, but can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas?  There *has* to be a way to do this.  Thanks!
I have a custom object, Employee, and on the New Employee entry tab I would like it to auto populate a field when the user selects from a picklist.  For example, if the user selects an employee type of 'Programmer' from the picklist I would like the Salary field to auto-populate with 50,000.  Salary need to be a real field too, so that the user can replace 50,000 with some other figure.  This doesn't seem to be possible with the standard Salesforce setup (please correct me if I'm wrong), so I'm wondering if it's possible to do it with an S-control?  If so does anyone have an S-control which does this that I can look at?

Folks,

Anyone know why I would be getting an Invalid Session error when I try to call a javascript function from an onclick event in the my Visualforce page.  The javascript function has a data call using the sforce.connection.query syntax.  Everytime I test fire my onclick event, I get a popup error on my VF page stating that the Invalid session...Illegal session and some other text....

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks
I'm sure there is a simple answer but I haven't been able to find it yet.  I have a custom object Employee which I have made a tab on my app.  I have a custom controller for the object, so in the VF page I have <apex:page Controller="EmployeeController">.  I want my VF page to display under the Employee tab and instead it displays under the Home tab.  How can I fix this?
I want all the standard buttons on a VF page, Edit, Delete, Clone as well as custom Buttons.
I figured out how to put the Edit and Delete buttons:
Code:
<apex:pageblockButtons >
           <apex:form >
               <apex:commandButton action="{!edit}" value="Edit" />
               <apex:commandButton action="{!delete}" value="Delete" />
           </apex:form>
</apex:pageblockButtons>

But I can't use this method to include the Clone button because there is no {!clone} method in my controller.
Furthermore, I don't know how to go about including any of my custom buttons.

Any ideas?

I have the basic page created.  However, I need to look up a value and return the results in a table.  How do I do that.  I have the look up but it doesn't do anything.

Also I saw at a success tour where they turn off the tabs by changing one value, how do I do that.

Much appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Melissa Elliott
The Schumacher Group
I am trying to have the user input a few values in an S-Control, and then have those values passed to another S-Control for processing.  I am able to use URLFOR to go from one S-Control to another, but it doesn't seem to work when used from a form submit button.  For example, the following works:

<a href="{!URLFOR($SControl.Employee_Finder_Results)}">test</a>

but this doesn't:

<form name="input" action="{!URLFOR($SControl.Employee_Finder_Results)}" method="get">
Name:
<input type="text" name="user">
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Is there some other recommended way to take user input?  The parameter passing example in the Cookbook assume that you already know what the parameters you want to pass are.

Hi,

Can any body tell me that what is the difference between Force.com platform and standard Salesforce.com CRM platform?

I heard that some of the functionalities and standard objects are not there in Force.com. To test this I have created two developer accounts with interest 'Salesforce.com customization' and ‘Force.com platform’. But I didn’t find any difference. All the standard objects in standard Salesforce.com CRM and Force.com are same.

• June 17, 2008
I have 2 SFDC developer accounts with a custom app developed in one.  I was able to pack the app up and install it under the other account.  I would now like to copy the data to the new instance also.  Can anyone suggest a good way to do this?  I tried using Apex Data Loader, but the references between the tables get lost in the process.  Am I doing something wrong? 

Message Edited by WesGray on 05-19-2008 05:00 PM
Hi.

I have a simple custom formula:

IF( (LEN( Fund)=0), "None",
IF(CONTAINS( "1203", Fund), "Retail Fund",
IF(CONTAINS( "1204", Fund), "Industry Fund",
IF(CONTAINS( "1205", Fund), "Value Fund"))))

And when I check the syntax I'm getting this error message:

"Field Fund does not exist. Check spelling."

The field "Fund" does exist, so I'm wondering what the issue is.

Thanks,
Brooks
  • April 30, 2008
I have a custom object Employee which has a First Name field and a Last Name field.  I would like the "Record Name" displayed to the user everywhere for this object to be the concatenation of the First Name and Last Name field.  However, when the user enters a new Employee they should type First Name as one field and Last Name as another.  It seems to me that when I create a custom object the field name I give for the Record Name is the field that displays everywhere, but I don't see any way to make it a computed field. Is it possible to do this with a custom object? The build-in object Contact works this way, so I'm thinking there must be a way to do it.
How do you change the layout of the screen you get when you click "New" on a custom object list?
I am trying to do something which seems very simple, yet I can't figure it out.

I have one custom table, Employee, with a key of Employee ID (autonumber).  The Employee table has a field Supervisor which is a lookup field back to Employee.  So one Employee can have a link to another Employee who is their supervisor.  Now, when I am looking at an Employee record I don't want to see that their Supervisor is 00000001, I want to see the Employee.Name field of their supervisor.  I tried using a formula field with a merge field in it, but can't seem to get it to work.  Any ideas?  There *has* to be a way to do this.  Thanks!
I have an Employee object where Employee ID is the key field (aka the Record Name field).  When an employee shows up in the Recent Items list, the Employee ID is shown, which isn't very clear for the user.  Is it possible to make a different field show in the Recent Items list, specifically the Name field?

I've been trying to understand how much the self service portal can be customized, and it seems the answer is "not much".  I can see how to add columns to the Log and View tabs, but that is about it.  I don't see any way to add a custom tab, display a custom object, add a button, or add an sobject.  Am I missing something, or am I correct that the ability to customize the SS portal is very limited?

Thanks!